advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggest that all patients under the age of 12 months at diagnosis should receive genetic testing for

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Monogenic Diabetes' started by Ellen, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. jjules

jjules Approved members

its interesting, perhaps their results that show that monogenic diabetes is less prevelant in children from 6-12months is due to the fact theyve only be recommending testing in kids from birth to 6months. once they widen the research field im sure their findings will be different! how many type 1s are really not? :confused:

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Everyone should be tested for Monogenic diabetes should be standard testing IMHO

4. Mary Cook

Mary Cook New Member

I agree.

My grandson was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 8 months. A year later after a blood test he was found to have monogenic diabetes.
    He was successfully switched from insulin to a glibenclamide tablet. He has
    Kir6.2 genetic mutation K170R. He's now 5 years old, at school and takes
    0.5mg of glibenclamide before each meal. No insulin required.

5. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

We just learned 2 days ago that Andy is PND not Type 1 (still waiting on details from the endo). He was diagnosed at 10 months. Original DNA tests 4 years ago did not show "classic" mutations they were looking for at that time, but apparently there are new ones to test for. I also think if dx under 12 months, genetic testing should be done automatically and now seems you need to keep on the docs to retest as new mutations are identified. It blows my mind!