- advertisement -

Sudden decrease in insulin requirements??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mwills27, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

My son has been a type 1 diabetic for two years now. 10 years old. He's moderately well controlled but we rarely have a "PERFECT DAY" his A1C is normally between 7-8.

The past few days he's had multiple unexplained lows that require 3x the treatment they normally do. He hasn't been high once this week even. I've decreased his total daily insulin intake from 21 units to about 12.5 units and I've stopped giving any insulin at bedtime and increased his carb intake substantially.

He hasn't had any excessive exercise although he just started school again. I have no idea what's going on. Does anyone know what this is and is it normal?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We had "no diabetes" days now abnd again for the first 5 years, or so. I think it's just a time when the islet cells surge and the immune system takes a while to smack them down. It was always disorienting, but fairly common, I believe.:cwds:

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Yes, this has happened with my daughter too recently. She's had D for 3.5 years and it was like I couldn't control the lows at all. I guess it comes and goes. It didn't happen though until recently.

4. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

My guess is its possible he's getting sick. Unexplained lows with Bethany turn into a cold or worse lows turn into a GI issue

5. Mwills27

It's so good to hear your responses and to know it's not so unheard of. His first day of school there was a pen malfunction that wasn't noticed by the new school staff. I didn't even notice it till the next morning, but all his numbers were completely normal, even though I doubt he got any insulin since noon the day before. And, I thought to myself, I must be wrong, he couldn't have gone so long with no insulin. But it's been 3 days, going on four, and I've had to cut his insulin in half practically and instead of 30 carbs before bed, he's getting 40 and no basil insulin at night, I moved it to the morning just because of all the night time lows.

This will be fun to explain to the school staff on Tuesday. "Everything I told you to do last Thursday has changed, reduce it by half" I can just see their faces now.:eek:

6. Lizzy731

Yup the school nurse has finally learned that nothing is set in stone and its only her 4th year in the same school!!

7. bisous

bisous Approved members

This is my experience as well. It is remarkable how little insulin is required at these times!

8. Mwills27

It could be illness, he is sick due to other medical issues quite often. Normally we struggle with extreme highs while he's ill. Right now, he seems healthy, but I'll keep an eye on it. Especially with just starting back to school, maybe he's picked up a bug that's not fully come to the surface yet.

9. Lizzy731

Lows usually come before the illness. Highs come during the illness. This is our experience.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I missed that he's just back to school - it's totally normal for insulin needs to shift, either up or down, with a radical change in schedule and activity, both brain and body.

All you can do is keep good logs and try to spot a pattern.

11. Lizzy731

Yes this is true as last year it was a surge in insulin needs...she was high constantly but it was also incredibly hot in the classroom as there was a heat wave last year when she returned to school.

12. Mwills27

Last year when he started school his numbers were crazy, not quite like this but who knows it could be school.
    However we're now on the second day of the weekend and I gave no insulin at bedtime his bg was 4.4 (Canadian measurement between 4-10 is our target) I gave 40 gram snack instead of 30 at bed time and this morning he was 11. So I gave 2 units with breakfast instead of his normal 3.5 (novo rapid) tested 2 hours later and he's 11 again. Totally strange but I'm not complaining.

I'll have to be cautious with his adjustments tomorrow for his birthday party. The normal math just isn't working this week.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

IMHO, for some reason, your son isn't absorbing the carbs as he usually does. Good that you are keeping up with his needs.

14. Mwills27

You know you may be spot on there! It's never happened before but he certainly has some digestive issues. He was negative for Ceiliac about 6 months ago but the doc said that could change in the future. I'll keep an eye on it.

He also only has one kidney but his function is good and I regularly screen his urine at home for kidney probs and I monitor his bp at home and all's been normal. I mention that because I know poor kidney function can effect how long insulin stays in the body.

We'll continue to play it by ear unless other symptoms pop up.

15. LJM

LJM Approved members

Insulin needs seem to always shift downward for DS once he is daily walking around campus again and taking regular PE. Even if he had a pretty active summer. There is overall less snacking and eating during school year too.

16. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

My dd has had D for 7 1/2 years now and we STILL have days like this. Sometimes it does have to do with a tummy bug, but often it's explainable.

17. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

My son's insulin needs dropped dramatically at age 10 too, not long before starting puberty. But, it could be starting school, that is definitely an adjustment period, he is probably getting more exercise on the playground with his friends, your just not there to see it :)