- advertisement -

Stupid meter! Nope, stupid me!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

So I was doing my midnight check last night and imagine my surprise when I saw a 15!! What the heck?!? I started yelling, "Joshua, Joshua!!!" Then I looked at the meter again, and it said 151. :eek: In the infamous words of Emily Litella, I said "nevermind!" In my defense, we recently changed meters and there is a rather large space between the numbers...and it was dark...

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

Haha! Nothing like a giant rush of adrenaline to keep you awake half the night!

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip does this a lot if he's a bit high. He'll miss the 1 at the beginning, so read a 15.2 as 5.2.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Most meters don't register below 20 (reads as LO instead). I would add this to the list of factors to consider when reading a blood sugar. 15 in not going to show up.

5. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I learned something new! Thanks! We switched recently from a Contour to an Accu-check Aviva, and I still can't get used to the fact that when we put in a test strip the first number we see is the code strip. The contour gave us a bg average as the first number. Unfortunately his code right now is like 351, so I keep thinking his average is really high!

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

LOL! Someone on here wrote that once her husband, I think, tested their kid in the middle of the night and she, sleepy, asked the number and the husband replied something like "531" (made that up, not sure what it was) and she got up freaking out, and the husband couldn't understand why, because all he had said was what the time was.:D

All this rambling to say LOL.:eek:

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I know sometimes being tired I can easily misread a number and especially if darkness is added into the mix. I have learned to double check the number on the meter before I take action.