- advertisement -

Stupid Insurance

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

So I called the pharmacy to fill my son's lantus today, and the pharm tech said the insurance won't cover it, since a vial will cover DS for 90 days. I told her the vial expires in 30, I can't give him bad insulin for 60 days. She knew that.

Of course she told me to have the dr write the script, "As Directed" vs giving a unit amount. I just hate the hoops.

I was just watching a show on TLC last night and got all mad because a little boy WASN'T diagnosed with a dwarfism disorder, so therefore, the insurance wouldn't provide coverage for the CT Scans. The CT Scans help detect anarisms early on so the child doesn't become paralyzed or die from them. The disorder is highly suspectible to anarisms, and the death rate is very high. But because the doctor can't confirm diagnosis (probably because he didn't fit one thing) the insurance company won't cover the scans.

I would find a doctor that would diagnose him. F' that!

Ok, that's my rant and rave for the morning.

Charmed

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

doesn't make any sense---do the insurance companies not realize that one vial doesn't last 90 days??????????

I guess you need the dr to write a script that he needs more than he really does. I can't remember how our script is written for novolog, but we end up getting 3 vials at once for the same co pay. Sounds like you need something like that.

Of course then you risk having the stupid insurance company call wondering why he needs so much lantus yadda yadda.........

Good luck.

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Our dr simply writes the script for a certain number of bottles a month. When Reann was on Lantus, her script was for one bottle of Lantus and 3 bottles of Novolog a month.That way the insurance company has to provide that much.

4. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

I don't know if I'd be so quick to point the finger at the insurance company. It is entirely possible that either a tech or pharmacist filled the Lantus and put it in the system as a 90 day supply. We had one time that DH went to pick up Caelin's Rx's and was charged a $27 co-pay versus the usual $9. Whoever had filled it put in 1 vial as a 90 day supply. The pharmacy corrected the error and that was the end of it.