- advertisement -

Stupid comments...a vent..come join!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

:eek:We were at our endos office (a huge diabetes facility) waiting in line to check in. This woman asked my daughters if they wanted jelly beans. I said no thanks, they're all set. She said oh come on, it won't kill them, it will just make them loose a leg like me. :eek: Alrighty then! Luckily my girls didn't hear her and the receptionist heard her and got us away from her. I was speechless. Here is one of the most renowned places in the world, with a waiting list, and you get someone like this woman who could care less about her health.

As for the jellybeans. I said no because a) didn't know her from Adam and she had them in her hand all sweaty and sticky b)the girls didn't have lunch yet. It wasn't even because of d.

I couldn't even waste my breath trying to educate this one!

2. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

because all those times he had juice I should have given him Gatorade

Oh my goodness! How ignorant. Sam used to ONLY drink Gatorade and is not a big juice drinker. I like that the first thing the endo nurse, who is T1, said to Sam is, "First of all, just know that this is not your fault. There is nothing you did to cause this." I think that was important for him to know. And of course, that did help me to get off the guilt trip that I was packing my bags for when he was first dx.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

What was this lady thinking? Obvioiusly she wasn't thinking!

Non-diabetes related - my son and I were waiting to see an orthopaedic dr. with his broken painful hand the week before last and began chatting with a man in the waiting room. We figured my son would be getting a cast which he did, and this guy says to my son "so are they going to have to re-break the hand before putting it in a cast?" :eek: Thanks dude. :rolleyes:

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

okay I looked back and we are talking about the same guy-I seriously am fuming right now at what he posted about that video and I made a nice little comment. He insulted me before there as a mother (read under alternative medicine) and I've had enough of him.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Here's another gem.

We have identical twins, so chances are very high that my non-d daughter may get it too. However, we like to look at it as there's a 25% chance she WON'T get it. Many people ask only one has it? I reply yes. They answer, but the other one's going to get it too right? That's always so nice when people say it right in front of my kids.

Hmmm...let me get out my crystal ball and see.

6. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, when I tried to call him on his spiel, he actually proceeded to tell me how I personally gave myself diabetes, based on the diagnosis story I had posted elsewhere. Um, no. I suppose there is always going to be someone like that, though.

As an adult Type 1, the stupid comments I get tend to be along the lines of "but you're too thin" and of course "but you're too old to have Type 1." I was diagnosed as an adult, but I sure wish more people realised that children with diabetes grow up and are adults with diabetes.

7. AlisonKS

I think we are all talking about the same guy. I wonder if we can start a group "we hate ___" lol
    I also have comments about my son being too thin to have diabetes!

8. Aidie's Mom

Aidie's Mom Approved members

I know what you mean

I would rather niether of my children had diabetes, in fact I wake up some morning hoping it has all been a bad dream. I do have to admit it is a relief that Aidan(16 months) has it rather than his older sister, Camryn (4). She is so intolerant to medical treatment, she totally freaks out at the idea of any discomfort. She once had an aweful sliver in her hand that was filthy and sure to get infected if we didn't remove it. It took my husband and I to hold her down, while she kicked and screamed. She fought so hard that she had broken some capilaries in her face. So I cannot image giving her injections 4 or 5 times a day to her. Although Aidan is so little he is such a trooper. He barely complains about his insulin and doesn't even seem to care about his finger picks.

I only wish he could talk so he could tells us how he feels. We test him sometimes up to 12 times or more a day because of his crying. We have yet to learn which is a high cry or a low cry.

As for insensitive people. We have had the regular "is he going to grow out of it"? questions and the like, that's not so bad. But it is the looks of pity we get. People look at me like he has died or something. My son is still here, still happy, still absolutely beautiful , he just happens to have diabetes.

The worst question I got was, "since genital worst (HPV) has been linked as the cause of cervical cancer, maybe if you had of got the flu shot or some other imunisation, maybe your son would not have gotten diabetes?"

9. AlisonKS

That is the dumbest thing ever! Of course a doctor blamed my sons diabetes on the fact that he wasn't fully vaccinated-he had it triggered from strep throat-which there is no vaccine for.