- advertisement -

Stupid comments...a vent..come join!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I am going to have to remember those, I am usually left speechless at peoples audacity.

2. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Yes, I think a lot of people are too ignorant and don't realise how serious Type 1 Diabetes is. My own sister told me that Dylan should just deal with his diabetes and she told me that I should get over his illness, as it wasn't like he had Aids or anything serious.
    My sister being short of braincells throughout her life has no clue, even after I have explained to her. She tells me that I baby my son, and should let him cope with his illness on his own.
    I was so mad with her I told her that I hope that she never has to go through what I do as a parent every day, and that she should try and live a day in the life of a child with Type 1. She just shrugged her shoulders and still thinks its not serious.
    Dylan was at rugby a couple of weekends ago and they had a shared morning tea afterwards, there were lots of fizzy drinks there (soda) and as Dylan went to grab one, I stopped him, he had temporarily forgotten, I had one parent roll her eyes at me as if I was a bad Mum and not letting Dylan having a fizzy drink. Dylan was really good about it all, but still this parent glared at me, so I went up to her and just told her a few facts. So many people are quick to judge when they really don't know jack ****.
    I guess thats why I get peeved off at people when they think they know it all but don't.

arrrgh.

Kim

3. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

I try really hard to be patient with the "well-intentioned, but uninformed" people who say something stupid out of ignorance.

My patience ends with people who should know better or refuse to listen to the truth (like that Charge Nurse).

For those people, a comeback along of the lines of "Zach uses Novolog and Lantus to manage his diabetes. You might want to find something to help you manage your stupidity. It appears to be terminal" seems appropriate.

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I am pretty sure I know exactly who you are talking about and I loathe that man! We had a lengthy discussion over the video Calvin's War and he tried to say that by going on the pump he was setting his expectation to have something external to himself heal his body, but that his body had the power to heal itself if he could become empowered. He also was trying to say that he caused his diabetes by eating junk food. I seriously wanted to reach through the computer and strangle the guy.

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

ick! No I'm talking about another nutjob, I swear they are everywhere-this nutjob doesn't even have diabetes or a child with it, he just preaches about psychobabble and gets nowhere.

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

The guy I'm talking about doesn't have a D kid either. I guess they have an annual meeting they go to where they sit around and decide how best to make nuisances out of themselves.

7. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I've never really considered which of our 2 boys would better able to handle D because to be quite blunt about it, D just plain sucks period and if we were to have the choice, I wouldn't want either of them to have it however it really wouldn't matter much because both boys have positive outlooks about life. If there is a difference between the 2 that makes it easier to deal with is that our 16 year old Justin who has D is easier to sense if somethings bugging him so we know when he needs to get something off his chest and discuss the matter. Our 14 year old Jason on the other hand, tends to keep his emotions to himself and can be a hard nut to crack.

Fortunately for us, we haven't experienced some of the negative feedback that most on this site have dealt with ... at least not yet and both mine and my wifes family have been very supportive. Another plus is that Justin's friends don't seem to be bothered by his D at all and even though D has complicated his every day life a bit, his outlook remains the same and he keeps moving forward.

8. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

it has been a while since i have heard any stupid comments. the past school year my daughters teacher, i cant tell you how many times, asked me if she was going to outgrow it. i could not believe i had to explain to her more than once. she was pretty ditsy. there is one thing sometimes makes me mad, is my mother would say sometimes. about changing her diet, cut sugar. there is no way i said to cut sugar out of your diet. if it does not have sugar. then it will probably turn into sugar in your body. and she will need it to correct a low. and when she is sick. and lets not forget they are kids. and they should be able to eat like everyone else.

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

When I used the omnipod's PDM to administer the insulin (it's remote), someone asked me..."oh, so she gets the insulin from there?", pointing to the PDM. I felt like saying, "yes it dissipates into the air and materializes into her skin."

10. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

why didn't you????:D There is no limit to peoples stupidity!

11. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

ROFLOL I needed that.

12. thedad

thedad Approved members

uhh no

I was talking to a man I know and hadn't seen in awhile,we were talking about Diabetes and Nick etc. he said "perhaps if the youth substituted more natural foods, like wheat pasta it would go away"....It took me a bit just to get past someone calling a child a youth ( ha ha I know I am smartaleck) but I assured that would be mildly helpful but nothing like a cure what so ever!

13. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

UNless of course they also had celiac disease.
    People really just do not have clues.
    THe worst thing is that they really think they are saying something incitefull.
    Allene

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I had someone say I was text messaging.. oh, ya, I'm texting her pancreas to give her insulin.. good grief! LOL

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My nephew today.. If I were sitting next to him, he would have been smacked.. I took my sister out for lunch.. they bring bread.. and you would have thought the kids (5 of them total) hadn't eaten in a week LOL.. they just dove for the bread.. I told Kaylee to hold it a second.. I needed to check her (if Iwasn't busy trying to find out what everyone wanted, I would have checked far before the bread hit the table.. ) and my nephew (whos is 11 and should really know better) goes.. 'haha, you have to wait'.. OMG I almost flipped.. my sister didn't hear it.. I told her.. and she made him wait along with Kaylee.. actually she made ALL the kids wait.. this is the same kid that told me that pulse wasn't a word.. LOL.. sometimes I really wonder about him.. good thing I was sitting across the table from him.. he really would have been in serious trouble if I were sitting right there.. I just bit my tongue and let me sister handle it..

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

OH I love that response. That is a great one. Way to go!!

17. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I had a really stupid comment that really made me laugh, and cringe at the same time...
    My totally blonde friend offered me SUGAR FREE chewing gum, and I politely declined. She actually said "Oh, you aren't allowed to eat that" Besides the fact it was sugar free, she's seen me eat junk all the time anyway. (All bolused for of course) :rolleyes:

My friend's boyfriend said he was probably going to get diabetes too, because he "eats so much sugar" That made me soooo mad, like he was insinuating that it was my fault I got diabetes :mad::mad::mad:

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Did you "SCHOOL" him Miss Behave??? I bet you did LOL.

19. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

My mother said this to me, as well as many other people. I took it about like you did(was that supposed to be a complement,IDK) Trey has always handled his " D " so well. I would have had a terrible time with my youngest dd, she is so much more drama.

20. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

I was just told that a friend of the family told my oldest daughter the very day we found out Zech had D, my daughter is 15 1/2, that it was my fault Zech has D, "because all those times he had juice I should have given him Gatorade" I can't even go into the complete ignorance of the statement on so many levels, I was furious this woman said this to my daughter. This woman said this to my daughter while she was on vacation, away from us, and while my daughter was in the midst of crying about my son being diagnosed. Grrrrrrr.... My daughter didn't want to upset me and just told me a couple days ago.