- advertisement -

Stuffy = Lower Numbers?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, May 5, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

DD's been a little stuffy since last night and her numbers have been lower than normal. Can both things be related?

#s today:
    12AM - 96
    3AM - 82
    4am -- 78
    6am -- 64 (11g OJ)
    8am -- 72 (11g OJ) + 84g w/bolus
    11am -- 98
    11:40 -- 55 started feeling a little dizzy (22g OJ)
    12PM -- 139

She is about to go on a 2- 1/2 hour hike (without me)....feeling a little unsure today...

I am giving her 15g uncovered salad (ckn, beans, egg, etc) right now to get her a bit higher because I don't want her going with fast acting in her system.

HELP !!!

2. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

You might try less insulin, and if she has been running low. If she is going to do 2 1/2 hours of exercise maybe try some carbs, like a granola bar, and also bring something sweet along too, like a capri sun - along with the bg monitor. About the hike, is anyone going who can help her if she goes low?

3. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

For my son, stuffiness and fevers tend to cause higher insulin needs while stomach bugs tend to lower insulin needs. But, different people react to things going on in the body differently. I see that your daughter was diagnosed only a few months ago. Honeymooning could be a strong factor in the numbers. The fact is, you are seeing some lows. Your daughter wants to go on a hike. Besides her insulin needs seeming to go down already, activity can often lower insulin needs even more.

For future reference, I probably would have fed a normal lunch but with less insulin than usual for the amount of carbs. But, especially if she was happy with her lunch, then you did fine.

For the immediate need of the hike, have her test frequently (if unsure, maybe even every 45 minutes since this is significant activity), have her bring some fast carbs for lows, and maybe have her much on maybe some sort of trail mix during the hike. If she ends the hike a bit high, just correct and look back to help figure out what a better plan of action might be next time. There is a lot of trial and error ahead as you figure out what your daughter specifically needs. Just keep monitoring, keep asking questions, and keep trying out various combinations of actions. I hope she enjoys the hike.

4. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Yes I love the idea of the trail mix and extra checks. I would send extra snacks like that - pb crackers, whatever. Thats a long hike. Once my son was 180 before a 20 minute walk and he was 58 when we got back. That does not usually happen but you never know with d.

5. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

When T is ill (cold or otherwise) we notice higher numbers that are followed by lower numbers. The higher numnbers are not extremely high but enough to keep an eye on.

6. monkeyschool

Thank you all for your replies. I am hesitant to give lunch and send her off with acting insulin because even though we always do 1/2 unit less before activity, if she goes low she does not feel those lows at all (meaning lows when on active fast insulin). She ended up with a 20g lunch uncovered at 12PM instead of 15...a loaded salad plus 1/2 slice of whole grain bread. Even though she started lunch at 139 she was 80 by 1PM when I dropped her off on the hike.

She had 15g uncovered sports drink at that point and tool with her plenty of snacks, drinks, and tabs....plus trail mix that she was going to just eat as she went along. She had all her trail mix (about 20g) in the first hour and she texted me at 2:!5 at 135.....so far so good. LOTS of food though, lol

Yesterday's numbers were mainly in the 90s to 120s....more in the 110 range for the day with NO lows at all (lowest was one 79). Our dosing for Lantus was the same....she had high activity last night, but she does every night for the most part.

She is on a teen nature hike with our State Park system. The leader is aware of her dx and knows she is backpacking with her glucagon in case of emergency. Today is the last hike of the session, but it's the first we are dealing with these kinds of numbers (and it's the longest of the hikes).

I left her with instructions to eat away if she stayed below 100, and if she kept dropping to down her sports drink if need be. Told her we would correct later if need be.

Thank you all so much for your replies....I had to drop off at 1 so I missed them before leaving, but I am glad your suggestions are along the lines of what we decided on...makes me feel a lot better :)

D. (who is in desperate need of that CGM for her overly active DD)

7. monkeyschool

No one else in our house is stuffy....I am wondering if I may be dealing with allergies, even though she hasn't had any in the past. Next couple of days will hopefully tell.

8. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I'm pretty sure T has a cold...she was her sister's softball game in 37 degree weather--with a nice brisk wind. I think I'm still chilled! But allergies this time of the year is a pretty good bet as well. I guess you can develop allergies at any time in your life. Great, eh?

9. monkeyschool

I would never have suspected allergies before, lol but I would never have suspected D either :) My brother (39) developed allergies 2 years ago. Never had them before that.