- advertisement -

Study Abroad to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by wildfire6299@yahoo.com, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wildfire6299@yahoo.com

wildfire6299@yahoo.com Approved members

Hi,
    My daughter is considering studying abroad for the fall semester in New Zealand. She will be a junior and she is on the MM pump and has a good handle on her diabetes. I told her to get all the information about it so we understand how it works, cost, etc.

Does anyone know how she can get her D supplies while she is there? Also, how does the medical insurance work - especially if you get the insurance thru the college?

Frankly, part of me says go ahead and have a great time and the other part of me says stay here. My husband will pretty much have heart attack.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Sandy
    Mother of 2 young ladies
    Heather - 22yrs old - non D
    Meghan - 19yrs old - DX 2/14/07

2. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Hi

Hi there,
    How awesome coming to the most beautiful country in the world!!!lol

Sorry I am biased and so will be others on here as we live in New Zealand.
    There is a company that represents Medtronic and you can get all the supplies here, but you would probably have to check with your insurance to see if they cover whilst overseas, or you may just have to stock up in the US before coming here.
    Our supplies are not covered here by insurance and we pay for all of our pump supplies etc.

My son is on the MM pump and loves it.
    The reps here in NZ for Medtronic are very good.

If you need any contact details or email address of the Medtronic Rep here, let me know and I can give it to you, so you can contact her directly.

Your daughter will love it here!!!

Good luck and I hope she comes out.

Kim

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Just today I dropped my 18 yr old daughter off for her first year at University :eek:. I was really impressed with the Student Support and services they have in place at Massey University www.massey.ac.nz

Health services work differently in New Zealand, we have a Public Health system with very little private insurance. You would be better looking into how your insurance could help you from home.

If we can help in any way please let us know :cwds:

4. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

Another biased kiwi here. She would love coming here.

As others have said, we have a public health system here, and you would need to check out your own insurance and how they could assist. Pump supplies are not funded. Does your daughter know the area of the country that she may be coming too. We also have the MM pump and the rep in our area is also wonderful. She is based in Wellington.

Let us know how she gets on and whether she comes out or not.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

6. wildfire6299@yahoo.com

wildfire6299@yahoo.com Approved members

WOW - Thanks for all the great replies!! My daughter is still looking into the program and hasn't decided to go ahead with it or not. If she decides to go, I will post it again.

Thanks Again!
    Sandy
    Mother of 2 young ladies
    Heather - 22yrs old - non D
    Meghan - 19yrs old - DX 2/14/07