- advertisement -

Students, Welcome to College; Parents, Go Home

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I remember going off to college in 1978. I lived in Alabama. My older sister and I drove to Ann Arbor, Michigan. She was attending Michigan State and it was more convenient for her to drive me than my parents. There was absolutely none of the hovering. My sister unloaded me and drove off to East Lansing.

As I was the 4th child to go to college, my parents weren't too interested in ritual of the child going to college.

I hope I will not be a hovering parent as described in this article. Yipes!

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

My mom instead of just leaving wouldn't she felt I was 'different' and needed her to stay and look after me. She continued visiting on weekends ruining my chances to make friends because I had to CONSTANTLY spend time with her...so I hate to say parents, it's okay to just leave.

4. linda

linda Approved members

Good stuff.

5. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Ellen:

Spooky article.... uggggh :eek:

Promise to call when money runs low honest...

6. blessed

blessed Approved members

left before the orientation

I knew it would be emotional...so I left a few days before orientation. I know I am a coward, but I would have embarrassed my son. He was staying with my niece and her husband so I knew he was in good hands. Just a very emotional time!

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I was teary all through orientation - thinking about how fast high school was over and how quickly college would be over. And it was, in a flash. It would have been nice if someone taught us how to embrace the transition. It does get easier over time and I'm now able to sit back and marvel at how my children are growing into lovely young adults, making good decisions etc.

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

It does get easier over time. I think I would have done better if Alex did not have diabetes and/or if he went to school in state. Him going so far away and having to deal with the logistics of that really thru me for a loop.

But I've adjusted to it and I know he's doing well (I think.....got a call from him last night but he wasn't actually on the phone....I think he must have 'butt dialed' me....but then he didn't answer when I tried to call him.:confused:)

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Ha! I love that expression "butt dialed" -- know exactly what you mean. My middle son did that once and we could hear all kinds of conversation going on but he was oblivious.

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Ellen, I dropped off my son at his dorm...And Some dads were redoing the rooms..I thought the mom's would get into it...nope the dads were all over it.

some tears...but he was sooo happy how could I be sad.

11. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Justin is sharing the 2nd floor of an old Victorian style house close to his school which is owned and rented by the parents of one of his room mates and believe it or not Justin and his 3 room mates keep it pretty clean provided you can deal with computer networking cables running all over the place. What blew Sharon and I away was when Justin handed us a spare key to the place so we could "check up" on them anytime we wanted even though we never asked for a key. It's a good feeling when your child isn't afraid that you the parent might find something questionable should you arrive unexpectedly.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

VERY NICE Scott!!:D