advertisement

Student with T1D, New Member

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nikki Rowland, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Nikki Rowland

Nikki Rowland New Member

Hello! My name is Nikki Rowland, I'm currently a college student living in Wisconsin attending University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. I hope to graduate with a bachelor of science in Athletic Training in December of 2019! I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was 11 (I am 23 now). I'm sure my story is very similar if not exactly the same to those on this site. It was right before school started, I had just got done with my summer basketball camp. My mom took me over to a friends house where we were having a kool-aid stand. Logically we drank more than we sold. My parents had noticed, about a year before that day, that I was acting "weird." I was drinking anything and everything in sight, going to the bathroom, eating the entire fridge, etc. My mom took me to the doctor that day, turns out my blood sugar was over 1000. I was literally on my death bed. The previous few nights I had been puking, but then would feel better right after that. I ended up spending the night in the ER, they got my BG down to 400 and the next morning was our introduction into diabetes education 101.

I was a super active kid and teenager. I understand the frustrations of high activity and fluctuating BG levels as well as insulin levels. I've met several parents with the same frustrations and have been able to give them suggestions on how to keep their child from getting a low or high during activity.

I was just recently married to the most wonderful man on the planet. We have a 7 year old Pitbull named Zoey. We love to go hiking, play video games, go on walks with Zoey, and biking to name a few. We are also HUGE Packer fans (Go Pack Go!).

I'd love to start getting to know other T1D's! And answer and questions others might have!