- advertisement -

stuck in the 300's

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by still..hopeful, Jun 26, 2010.

1. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

My daughter is pumping. For the last two days I can't seem to get her out of the 300's. Corrections through her pump are not working. After an hour she has only come down 10 points. I have changed the site, and insulin out and still stuck in the 300's. I have even been giving her shots the old way and I can't seem to budge her. I know the insulin is coming out through her pump when it is primed. How do you know if something is wrong with the pump, bad batch of insulin(just opened today), or basal/bolus needs to be changed. I am really frustrated b/c nothing is working. I know this is hurting her body..please give me some ideas.
    Angie

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Have you tested for ketones?

She may be coming down with something or her basal needs need to be increased all around.

Can you play with higher temp basals and see if that helps, and if so, then maybe it's time to up her definite basal settings.

Good luck!

3. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

I have been checking for ketones and she has a trace. I thought since we were on vacation that was why she was running higher. It is always hard to judge carb amounts in restraunts and with sweets. But we have been home and she has still been running high through the night and all today. She has only eaten breakfast and is still in the 300's.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd put her on a temp basal, starting at 120-150% and going up in 10-20% increments every 2-3 hours, depending on how aggressive you want to be with these highs. Bear in mind that temp basals can be very effective (more so than correction boluses), but I do sometimes need up to 300% on crazy D-days.

If you check her BGs often (probably hourly until they stabilise), you're safe with moderate temp basals. Just don't leave it too long between tests, because when she gets back to a normal range, some of the resistance will probably disappear, and you'll need to lower basals again.

Good luck!

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

if regular shots aren't working then there is unlike to be a pump problem. So you really only have 2 scenarios:
    1) your insulin is bad - very unlikely unless you've really mishandled it in one day.
    2) she just needs more insulin, and vacation will do that do a child. :)

just bump up what you've been giving her. :)

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I would do this.

kim

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Did things get better?