- advertisement -

Stressed about teen drinking alcohol - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by kelzer, Jun 11, 2011.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

No of course I wouldn't, but my guess is that that is true of every generation of parents since time began. One's perspective as a parent is very different from one's perspective as a teen..

What I have particular difficulty with is a parent who got sloshed regularly as a teen, and yet would have a major problem with THEIR teen having a beer or two. Zero tolerance is all the rage in the US, but is criminalizing your country's teens really the best way to go? Even if they're not binge drinking, but just wanting to have a few beers in the company of their friends?!

I am struggling with this question in a theoretical way right now, as thankfully DD so far can't stand the taste of alcohol and has no desire to try. Moreover, Canada is not the US so we don't need to worry about serious legal repercussions if she should experiment the way most teens do at some point or another.

I hope to persuade her with well-reasoned arguments that drinking copious amounts of alcohol is a poor idea, in particular because she has Type 1 diabetes. I will make sure she knows what she needs to know to be safe when consuming alcohol, even as I also let her know that I think it is a poor idea for her. I will not take a "brick wall" approach, as it is clear that it would be as counterproductive with her as it was with me in my day. She unfortunately has my stubborn, independent streak. Cause for hope is that unlike me she often is able to learn from the experiences of others, without having to make every mistake herself.. :cwds:

Anyways I very much appreciate the thoughts that people have provided on this topic. It is incredibly challenging. The comments in this thread have been heartfelt and thoughtful, and have given me much to think about.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Well, in my world, that word is "repentant". :)

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I will say it again. The simple fact is that the legal age for drinking in the US is 21. Unless that changes, I will not condone my children drinking, period.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm afraid it's not ANYWHERE that cut and dry. The age of 21 is the minimum age to purchase and publicly consume alcohol. Many states still allow consumption under the age of 21 when under the supervision of their parents or guardians.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I stand corrected. I just googled it and was very surprised to see that what you are saying is right. This is something I never knew before. There are actually 42 states that allow it with parental consent. :eek:

I guess my mother was right - we really DO learn something new everyday! ;) Now will I personally be cracking open a beer with my 16 year old tonight? Not a chance, lol! :p