- advertisement -

Strawberries

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Mar 6, 2008.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

This past weekend my stepdaughter was at about 72 (when her range should be 80-150) and rather than doing the quick carb rule, I let her eat 1 cup of strawberries, which is 15 g of slow carbs (which works too I read if you aren't THAT low). She wanted a snack at this time and she absolutely LOVES strawberries. Well, I checked her again afterwards thinking the carbs would bring her up okay. She was at 62. So then she took the juice and she came up with no trouble then.

Anyone else have certain foods that didn't really affect your child? Anyone know why strawberries really wouldn't have an affect? She was dipping the strawberries in splenda. Would doing that cut back carbs? I didn't think that would since the sugar alcohol isn't IN the strawberries, but maybe I am wrong? :confused:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ok, I'm no expert here, but it seems like there was a drop in bg going on...and since 'real ' fruit takes longer to digest, the bg would not increase rapidly...would need some time....juice is rapidly digested, hence bg goes up faster.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I never knew that about strawberries - I always thought they were pretty quick! Thanks for teaching me something new!

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I would have thought that too, but this was an hour later. She had the strawberries at 8:00 (72), she was 62 at 9:30. By 10:30 she was 120 (after the juice). Lantus is given to her at 9:00/9:30 p.m. so I wouldn't think she had much, if any, of that in her system at 8:00 p.m.

5. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

15g of carbs in strawberries is 15g of carbs. And the absorbtion rate of strawberries are not that slow, afterall, they are mostly just juice. What probably happened was that there was still insulin in her system from her last needle that counter-acted the effects of the 15g. So her going lower would probably have happened with 15g of juice as well.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Definitely makes more sense...

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

My guess would be tha tyou caught the 72 when she was on her way down. Without the strawberries she probably would have been alot lower then 62 when you rechecked.

8. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I agree, I said that to myself after I posted, one of those, ah shoot, I forgot to say that!! :)

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I was scratching my head with the strawberries thinking what's wrong with these? LOL My husband was saying it was the splenda. I didn't really believe that though. Your theory makes the most sense about she was going down and we caught it. Thank goodness!

10. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

We eat fresh strawberries a lot and a cup of strawberries is NOT 15g of carbs! I looked it up just to be sure before responding, but 1 cup of fresh strawberries is 152g by weight 12g of carb with 3g of fiber. For us this amounts to 9g. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but for us there's a big difference between 15g and 9g.

In this case, I agree she was probably on her way down, but 9g of high fiber carbs is a lot different than 15g of fruit juice. I wouldn't use strawberries to bring up a low.

Kirsten

11. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

I agree that the strawberries were probably lower in carbs than you may have thought.

Although 72 (4.0) is on the "higher end" of a low we still treat with a fast acting carb and then would feed an additional complex carb. So the strawberries may not have been a bad idea, but a tsp of regular sugar on top may have worked wonders.

Sometimes when my son is in this range we will give chocolate milk - fast acting carb being the chocolate syrup, but the lactose takes longer to break down along with the fat.

Just a thought anyways,

12. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I completely agree. In our house, we don't even bolus for strawberries.

13. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

What was the BG check prior to the 72?

it is very likely that you did catch a downward trend, and the berries did likely slow that drop down.

However, the GI (Glycemic Index) value for strawberries is 40, glucose (like glucose tabs) is 100. That is a significant difference. All carbs are not created equal. Berries don't impact my kids' BG values nearly as much as other fruits and nowhere near as much as glucose tabs. I believe all berries have a very low GI.

Now, I'm just dipping my toes into the GI thing, but we've been experimenting with Brian and his CGMS and you can totally see the difference in the after-snack spike of different foods.

Anyway, just thought I'd share another perspective on the situation, and what our experiences have been.

14. zell828

zell828 Approved members

In my hospital book for carbs it said strawberries were 15, but I tend to believe they aren't that high too. We just got our Salter scale this past Monday so I will have to try weighing them once and see what the scale says. My stepdaughter won't touch chocolate milk. She is a white milk drinker only. Same with ice cream - vanilla only. My son, on the other hand, is only a chocolate milk drinker and won't drink white.

15. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thank you for sharing, that's interesting. I don't know all the ins/outs about the glycemic index yet.

16. Kiresten'sMom

Kiresten'sMom Approved members

My DD has never climbed with strawberries, blueberries, Lance PB Cracker, a small amount of regular vanilla icecream, I know there are other just can not think of them right now. Things that do work for increasing lows are yoohoo, apple juice, grape juice, orange juice, milk, cake icing gel for extreme lows or when you are out and have nothing else. As some one else said about the fiber everyone needs to remember to subtract the fiber count from the carbs to get the accurate carb count. Just don't bet yourself up. Blessings Robin:)

17. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My uncle used to be on the Atkins diet and he was super super strict about it. He said that strawberries is one of the only fruits he can eat because it had so few carbs. Carson had some this morning and 5 HUGE strawberries on the salter scale had only 4 grams of carbs.

18. zell828

zell828 Approved members

OMG :eek:

19. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I just looked it up on Calorie King website out of curiosity. It says 1 cup fresh strawberries has 11.1 grams of carbs with 2.9 grams of fiber. (We subtract fiber especially from fruit), so that would be a net total of around 8.2 grams of carbs in 1 cup.