- advertisement -

Strangest Thing Your Child Has Eaten When Low....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Corinne Masur, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

I love these funny threads. They make my day. So here's a new one.

Yesterday my 13 year old son was 54. He took some Smartfood (cheddar cheese flavored popcorn) and poured honey on top. Then he oohed and ahed for a few minutes about how good it was....

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Not really a strange food but the other day we were in Whole Foods market. Hana had just gotten out of a 2 hour swim clinic. She all of a sudden was famished and was demanding bread. I didn't put two and two together at first. But she was demanding bread in the store and couldn't wait until we got out. She went searching for sourdough!! It had to be sourdough. She started tearing in to the bag. I told her to hold up and check her blood sugar atleast. So she tests right there in the middle of the aisle and she was 44 :eek: Yikes! No wonder why she was hunting down carbs! I just about freaked. I ripped in to my purse and found a tube of frosting gel. I started squeezing it in to her mouth there in the middle of the aisle. Then she ripped in to the bag of sourdough and ate 4 pieces before we even got out of the store! LOL
    Funny thing is, since then, she hasn't wanted the bread! I offered it to her for breakfast yesterday morning and wanted nothing to do with the sourdough! :D

3. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

I could not believe I was out of fast acting carbs a month or so ago.:eek: He was low and had to eat sweetened condensed milk from the can with a spoon. He told me it tasted good when he licked it off his finger when I used it to bake, but from a spoon, not so much!

4. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Chell has a small fridge in her room, for insulin, sensors. Well, she got up real early in the am, finger stick was 43, cgms was 66 with double arrows going down. Chell opens the fridge, grabs a juice box, and could not open it. She tired, harder. Finally she sat down, and was trying to pry the juice box open, she gave up went back to the fridge to grab another juice box, when she realized that...it wasnt a juice box that she was trying to open, it was a wine cooler. :eek:

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

The ears off of a chocolate easter bunny.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Marshmellows, not too funny I know.

7. Blue

Blue Approved members

Found him in the kitchen trying to eat a raw potato . . .

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

man we're boring LOL! Ashleigh pretty much sticks with glucose tabs or juice. She did eat smarties one day when she was low.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This isn't really a weird food (I eat it anyway.. :p) but when I'm low I always get cravings for nutella by the spoonful. And pretty much anything with a hazelnut-chocolate combination.

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My son eats Nutella by the spoonful when he gets home from school.
    He also brings a Nutella sandwich to school for lunch!

11. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We LOVE nutella! Yum:)

It is good for a semi-low for us or I sometimes give Josh a bit to get him a little higher before bed.

I have to make myself stay out of it!

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm craving nutella now:)

13. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

I think the raw potato wins!

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

On this other forum I once was on (closed now :() a girl posted that she ate corn syrup once...ick! I don't think I've ever eaten anything THAT strange when low, well, today I sucked the caramel out of a Caramello bar, because the gtabs weren't working fast enough. Then, I ate the chocolate! :D

15. kk4jbird

kk4jbird Approved members

Strangest Food Attempted to Eat When Low

Years ago we where outside at our neighbors house when I noticed my son (about 3) pulling berries off of a holly bush and shoving them into his mouth urgently. I freaked out (they are poisonous!). Scooped them out of his mouth and checked BG and juiced. Of course called poison control. It was amazing that he didn't understand why but just instinctively needed food fast. Especially since he is often still at 9, hypo unaware.

16. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

About 6 months after Wyatt was diagnosed we were visiting my parents for Mother's Day when in the middle of the night he went extremely low. I asked my husband to run to the kitchen to get icing and glucagon (just in case) and instead he ran back in with a bag of sugar...not sure what he thought I was going to do with it, but he panicked. I can laugh about it now, but not that night.

17. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

;) that sounds effing delicious!!!! :D

Kats weirdest would be a toss between homemade yogurt (plain) with sugar dumped in it, and lemon glaze for chicken.

18. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

A penny... Brooke had a glucose tab in one hand and a penny in the other... somehow the penny made it there first...
    I'm not even sure how it really happened but... we got it back a day later :/