- advertisement -

Stomach virus and D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KyleBugsMom, Dec 12, 2010.

1. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

We are on Day 6 of the stomach virus with Kyle (age 4). We have followed the endo's orders of lowering Lantus, but he still hasn't needed any Humolog and he has been dropping hard at night - we have given 4 mini-doses of Glucagon in the last 3 days!! :eek:

We are also running into the issue that he is afraid to eat/drink, (though he has been eating some) so dehydration is a concern!!

Do any of you have any words of wisdom, things that have worked for you in the past, any advice at all? I am officially a desperate mommy.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry. :( It's hard, but giving too many doses of glucagon so close together can deplete the glycogen stores in the liver and mean that glucagon will become less effective until they are built up again, so it's really important to get as many carbs into him as possible. I'd recommend giving him sugary drinks in very small volumes, for example letting him drink it off a spoon instead of having to take proper sips out of a cup. Sometimes even just drinking through a straw is easier when you're sick. Sugary jello is also good for this sort of thing, and other types of glucose that can just dissolve in his mouth and he doesn't really need to eat, like pixi-stix. I hope he's feeling a lot better soon.

3. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

We know about depleting the liver with Gluc. The doses have been pretty far apart and with the direction of our endo. We have been giving sugary drinks, but even Coke doesn't seem to do the trick when he is dropping so hard. I really want to take him to the hospital and have them treat/hydrate him, but I don't want to traumatize him if we can treat him at home.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I totally get that and I'm sure you're doing them at the right time, I just always feel the need to write that little disclaimer for people who might not know. I know when I was first dx'd I didn't realise that risk and might have been at risk of using it too frequently if I was sick and really didn't want to eat. I think the trick is to run BGs a bit higher (I do 150 to 250 when sick and only correct down to 200) so that when the big drops start to happen you have plenty of time.

5. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

May need to take to ER to rehydrate. Will he eat popsicles, jello chicken broth or chicken nooodle soup? Freezie pops?

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have heard of mixing powder Gatorade stronger than directions and giving that.

7. lrvesquire

lrvesquire Approved members

We are battling virus here with ear and sinus infection. I have found that cranberry jelly (yes from thanksgiving works well) 52 grms carbs in half cup and does not require chewing. Try it. And keep eye on ketones. We are on no insulin but lantus but those darn ketones keep pooping up.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

If he is dropping hard at night then it's because he's still getting too much Lantus.

How much did you reduce it by? And when does he get his Lantus injection(s)?

9. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I agree that lowering the Lantus sounds right. And just regularily getting any type of carbs into him...even tiny bits at a time. Applesauce made with sugar, popsicles, overly sugary koolaid, easy to chew candy, gatorade, pedialyte, whatever he'll take. And if he won't take sugary stuff, then at least sips of water to try to prevent dehydration.

I hope he's getting better.:cwds:

10. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I was recently sick as well, the dehydration is a big issue and when you've been really sick drinking gets scary once he figures out that it makes him sick. If he starts showing signs of serious dehydration the ER is probably unavoidable.

One of the problems with stomach bugs is that he won't absorb sugar well. I found that the only thing I could do to get the lows up was to use pure glucose (gel or tabs) and let it dissolve in my mouth. Absorbed through the mouth was still working ok but anything below that didn't work. Interestingly glucose is an ingredient in many anti-nausea meds as well, and I've used a tab when I wasn't feeling well for that reason. It doesn't help much when it's real bad, but sucking on some tabs might help settle his stomach temporarily and boost his blood sugar.