- advertisement -

Stomach bug complications after hospital

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CandiceMcG, Mar 13, 2010.

1. CandiceMcG

CandiceMcG Approved members

Hi all,

Based upon our endo's reaction to this story, I feel like my son is the only one in the world who has this problem:

He is 5 and was admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago with a stomach bug. Spent two nights there, and was able keep bland food down before he was released. Then he came home, and now that the IV was out, we realized that the carbs he was eating were not being absorbed into his bloodstream. This resulted in getting stuck in lows (one time he was stuck with a blood sugar of 40!) No matter what he ate/drank, his blood sugar was just stuck. This "malabsorption" problem continued for 2-3 more days, during which time we had no choice but to keep him pretty high.

We had a similar experience when he was admitted for the stomach bug at the age of 1. Now that it's happened twice, the endo says we may need to keep him in the hospital for a few more days (for a total of 5 days) until we get past this point of malabsorption. So my next question is, have any of you ever looked into getting a 24-hour home nurse to control an IV?

This topic is especially important today because he's throwing up again and we're not sure if he'll need to be admitted again.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

This happens all the time. You can find lots of threads on this topic on here.

We find we had to drop DD's basal by up to 50% after a bout of gastroenteritis, and we only bolus about 1/2 as much too.

On page 267 of the marvellous reference text (Type 1 Diabetes, by Hanas) he writes about the need to reduce insulin dosages during gastroenteritis - you can read up here:
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=2ly...ge&q=gastroenteritis, type 1 diabetes&f=false

3. joan

joan Approved members

Every time my son has had a stomach virus his insulin needs decreased dramatically due to malabsorption of foods and it lasted for a few days. We just greatly decreased the insulin , increased the # of bs checks and that was that. I would have never thought he should be in the hospital.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This happens to us, all the time.. anytype of belly bug and it happens.. you have to back off the ratios.. or correct the highs 2 hours after a meal, if there are any..

I've never thought of looking into a nurse for home iv care.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Candice Im so sorry about Alexanders illness:( I hope hes better soon and doesnt have to go into the hospital again. My son Steven has had a few severe stomach bugs since dxd and had to go to the hospital for IV fluids. For several days after he would also have trouble with lows. I usually just keep him on mostly liquids and a few bland foods for a couple days and slowly build back to his usual diet. I think that alot of the friendly bacteria is killed off in the stomach and intestinal tract that does the job of digestion and absorption. Do you give him Culterelle or another form of probiotic after the stomach bug? That will help to replace the friendly bacteria

6. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We're in the middle of this right now. She had the stomach bug on Wednesday. Insulin needs are still much lower, and it is taking much more to bring her back up.

Thankful I had read about this on CWD, or I would have been at a total loss.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Stomach bugs and not absorbing food go hand in hand. William continued to have the problem at random times after the stomach bug had gone - for about a year later. Eventually it stopped and I have no idea why that happened.

Unless there is a problem with ketones leading to DKA I wouldn't want to even go to the hospital - much less extend a hospital stay. Usually this can be managed at home - of course individual circumstances vary. Like everyone mentioned - we cut way back on the insulin - try to leave the basal insulin going - and almost do bolus insulin more as corrections rather than bolusing for what he eats like usual.

I hope your pedi endo can help you stay out of the hospital - talk to them again about how to manage it at home.

8. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

yup, has happened to us with each stomach bug too.

have you lowered his basal and I:C ratios?

also, has he been checked for celiac recently? the time that the malabsorption was the worst for my daughter was due to not yet diagnosed celiac.

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

If you need to do IV medications, etc at home, they can actually teach you how to do that. My Nephew had a brain infection a few years ago and spent two weeks in the hospital. They taught his parents and me how to do IV Therapy at home which we did for a month after he came home. So I know it can be done.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I agree with the others in the suggestion that when your child is having lows for any reason, the insulin needs to be lowered until the body is able to start working as normal.

This can be handled at home by testing and injecting less insulin. There is no reason to have the added expense and hassle of additional days in the hospital.

11. CandiceMcG

CandiceMcG Approved members

Thanks for the advice!

How I appreciate all your advice! I'm so grateful to report that my son has, for the first time ever, been able to stay home from the hospital! The endo and pediatrician have been working with us all weekend, and so far things have been pretty smooth.

Deafmack, that's fascinating that the training for IV therapy can be administered to parents. I asked about it a few years ago when we were in the hospital and was basically told it would be too difficult since I had "no medical background." I think I'm going to pursue that option and let them try to tell me that now! I understand it's not easy, but certainly we can come up with a cheaper solution than an extended hospital stay!