- advertisement -

Stock pile

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BarbDwyer, Oct 29, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Yes, when my daughter first started pumping, we couldn't get infusion sets to stick to her. Until we found flexifix tape, she used an average of one a day. It was nuts, so we got a prescription for daily changes in order to have a cushion - that's 9 boxes of infusion sets every three months. Now, once we figured out how to make them stick, we just worked through the ones we had, not reordering until we got down to a couple of boxes. Same thing with the t:slim cartridges. I don't think I've ordered any in the year 2014 (although a cartridge used to last her a week, now it's about 4 days, so we are going through them).

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I have a ton of stuff too, but I'd like to have more test strips as well - that's the one thing I find hard to stock up on, like many people.
    We lost a lot of insulin during Hurricane Sandy (both school and home stash).
    Denise, I still remember when you sent me about 500 pen tips! I really appreciated that!!

4. EmMom

EmMom New Member

I'm new to this (both to T1D and to this site), but this thread has been really interesting to me. I'm beside myself tonight because we're going to run out of test strips this weekend. Today was the first day that I could have refilled our script of test strips, and so I ordered the refill. But CVS can't fill it until Monday (this is an entirely different frustrating issue). I'll reach out to friends to see if I can borrow test strips, but I can't imagine how we'll ever be able to stockpile test strips. The script is for 6-7 times a day. Most days we only test 3 times (the fourth test happens at school), but I often make mistakes with the tests and get errors on the meter. I'm so frustrated. Diabetes is really friggin hard enough without having to worry about supplies!!!

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Ask for your script to be written for more. At diagnosis the script we were given for test strips said 4-6 times per day. Now it says 10-12 times per day. I think they start low with the number of tests to give parents and child a chance to adjust. Having the larger number gives spares for exercise, errors, etc, sickness, etc. If your doctor questions your request, there are studies that correlate A1C values with number of tests done per day. I'd have to look as I've seen it multiple times but don't know the link right now.

6. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Our script was written similarly but also added...and as needed... and the doctor knew we'd be testing much more often than meals and bedtime but the script didn't read that way. The pharmacist wasn't much help and didn't think he would need to test that often. Perhaps he was not that familiar with kids with T1D - don't really know. Anyway, I called the doctor, who called the pharmacist. A new script was sent and the pharmacy auto-orders them as soon as they can be refilled. I think the insurance approves a few less than the script is for but it is all working out.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

A test strip script shouldn't be written for any less than 10-12. We've built up a small backlog because the Dexcom enables us to test less on good days.

8. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I have a closet but there are 4 type 1s in the house more then 6 months stockpile

9. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We seem to run out of strips the fastest. We were just able to refill (got a new meter and he has two meters, one for home and one for school) and only get 300, which barely lasts a month, depending on how numbers are. We check more if he is low and not quite as much if he is really high. We are only 1 year into this. We are good on insulin, but I got a sample of Lantus from our regular dr to see if his numbers would do better and he seems to be doing better on the Lantus than the Levemir. I can always give my dad the Levemir if we can get the script for Lantus.

10. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

As a side note to this thread suppose that for some reason it did become more difficult to get supplies: what could be done?

If the main issue were insurance then cash could be used. That would require that someone in that situation actually had some cash.
    If the issue were that the pharmacy did not have any to be sold then it might be possible to obtain some supplies at a vet's. I would assume this is illegal but which of us would care? Type 2 diabetics might also be willing to part with supplies.

If the issue were a lack of fast acting insulin then Lantus could be used exclusively with some challenging obstacles to lows and highs and probably a completely different schedule for eating.
    The corollary to that would be that if Lantus were not available then fast acting could be used exclusively with a different set of obstacles, or used in a pump very nicely.

That being said unless one knows how to make insulin from pigs or dogs some supply of it is absolutely necessary.

Refrigeration is of course important too. If a hurricane came through, as one example, and knocked out the electricity and roads then a substitute would be needed. A cooler with ice (or running water) could be used. Generators or rigged evaporative coolers could be useful too. The frio is an example of an evaporative cooler. Two pots nested inside each other called a Zeer pot could be created. Being able to drive from an area without electricity to one with electricity could also be useful. Gas and a car would be needed. Let's not get into the details of dispatching zombies :D

One could stretch out insulin supplies by eating a low carb diet, exercising to lower highs, and drinking water to flush sugars. None of this can effectively lower ketones or replace insulin for long. Before the discovery of insulin in 1922 ultra low carb diets were used to extend the life of cwd for close to a year. Many of those who were diagnosed in the year before insulins discovery were lucky enough to last long enough to receive insulin.

Strips seem to be the most difficult item to stockpile. It would be possible to seriously limit how many strips are used per day, to rely on a CGM when available, or to rely on one's own body signs to guess at when one is low or high.

Needles or syringes can be reused though I have no idea what one could do to reduce the dangers of reusing needles. How would they be sanitized? Would they clog? Syringes designed for other purposes could perhaps be substituted but I suppose that would be pretty hard.

Ketone strips may be one of the least important supplies. Additionally ketones can be smelled on ones breath.

Pump supplies when they run out can be replaced with MDI supplies (or vice versa)

Batteries for pumps, meters, etc should be on the list to think about. It would be a shame to stockpile all the strips one would need then not be able to use the meter for lack of a battery. Batteries of course are ubiquitous.

I remember reading a news story about a train that derailed spewing poison gas into the air. People in the area had to evacuate quickly. One would need to be able to grab all their supplies quickly, put them in a container, and leave fast. I container and a list would be useful.

Other ideas?

11. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Thorough list! I like it.

Thinking about this thread I know have an extra meter and poker :) I kept having visions of one being lost or taking a dive in the lake or something.

Our supplies are fairly organized so I could grab them quickly. Our power goes out in winter so it is easy enough to keep things cold. A tornado though. Need to remember to gather supplies and put them in the basement if I hear the whistle!

12. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Oh yea the poker or lancer! I forgot to mention that. One time our lancer broke and it was the only one we had. All diabetes care ground to a halt. It is amazing how the smallest link can have such a large effect.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My friend is a doc and she gave me a handful of the single use pokers. While they aren't my daughters favorite, I do like to keep a few in her kit and in my car in case we need one.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

my zombie apocalypse supply of novolog went kaput last year. I was up to about 20 vials. I'm down to only 6 in reserve, plus whatever apidra is in use from our current supply (probably only 4 vials right now).

15. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

We have a years supply of contour strips and non of us use that meter, need to check pile