- advertisement -

Stock pile

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BarbDwyer, Oct 29, 2014.

1. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I was wondering how many supplies you all keep in reserve. How much insulin in the fridge? How many bottles of test strips and needles and things like that. The pharmacy auto orders the test strips as soon as the insurance allows so we have a few extra. We were always cutting it so close this summer and I want some extra since I think he'll go through a lot more when basketball starts but I don't know what is reasonable.

Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would hazard a guess that most of us who have been at this a while have something similar to what we have:

2-3 months of insulin
    a few months of infusion sets and cartridges
    a few 100 extra test strips

I like to know that I have 3 months worth (sometimes more, sometimes less)

We've been at this 12 years so some small measure of accumulation happens. I'm not preparing for a zombie apocalypse, just a minor disruption in coverage or the like. "-)

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I have 850 bazillion of everything - except insulin and dexcom sensors (we change it every week). I had a ton of insulin and then my daughter's insulin needs greatly increased and I went through a lot of the backlog. My guess is I probably have a month extra of insulin.
    supplies.jpg

Attached Files:

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I have 4 months worth of Pods. If I tally all my test strip brands I have, I probably have almost 2 thousand. I cut way back on my testing since going on Dexcom, and it took me awhile to realize I don't need to order that many any more. I have 3 months of Dexcom sensors, which might last me more like 6 months since I wear them for two weeks. I have tons of pump supplies for my old Dexcom and not-so-old Paradigm pump (s). I have 2.3 million lancets.

I have exactly 1 vial of insulin right now. Should probably refill that.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My insurance company only allows a one month supply and they are all too efficient at keeping me from accumulating more than that. that being said I understand the drawbacks of just-in-time inventory that modern pharmacies use and it would not take much of a disruption in supply lines to cause a major shortage of supplies that we just cannot live without.

I AM preparing for a "Zombie Apocalypse" (as a metaphor anyway) since the list of things that could cause a disruption in supply is long. With the restriction that the insurance company places my stockpile is probably only enough to last two months but my wish list would be for six.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

We, too, are in the process of preparing for a zombie apocalypse (mark my words, it's only a matter of time), but our tight-assed insurance company is making this a challenging endeavor.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ya, this is pretty much the boat we are in.
    But, here is the one down side of stockpiling too much. Our daughter wants to switch to MM. So that means, new carts, sets and strips (due to pairing meter being different from what we have). Now, our daughter, if and when she gets this pump will want to use it the minute it comes through the door. So, we will have all that stuff and she will put up a stink about using it.

I am going to put off the conversion as long as possible, mid-December.

8. BarbDwyer

Thank you everyone. That helps. I'm going to keep piling up the strips until after basketball and then see where we're at.

I never considered there could be a supply breakdown with the insulin. Ours come in boxes of 5 vials and I order when we open the last one but maybe I won't wait so long, especially with winter coming. Scarier than ZA around here!

I also think I'll get some syringes. I keep worrying about that pen getting lost or broken. We briefly lost the poker thing the other day and he left the spare at school. :/

1.2 million lancets. LOL.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't really worry about a breakdown in supply of insulin, more a complicated transition in insurance, or sudden loss of coverage, or a power outage that destroys my stockpile of insulin. We bought a generator a few years ago after two 8 and 9 day power outages had us scrambling to keep the stockpile cool.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm trying to pare down my excess. I am currently working through about 6 months of test strips, I gave away about a year's worth of Animas cartridges. I have about a year's worth of infusion sets. I have about 6 months worth of insulin.

I only have 2 months of pump cartridges (Because we just started) and maybe about 4 months of Dexcom sensors. I am trying to save money by using most of what we have before we repurchase.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter makes fun of my stockpile. She won't when she figures out dealing with insurance is such a pain in the patooey. A year and half ago I was to loose my job, they gave me a few months notice, so I was stockpiling like mad because who knew where I'd end up or what kind of insurance I'd end up with. I've been backing off a bit this year as they've decided to keep me on.

3-4 months of novolog
    1 vial of lantus
    Probably about 4 months of test strips - and we're switching due to insurance so I need to start stockpiling those.
    I've got enough lancets for a lifetime. As soon as I stockpiled some she started reusing hers most of the time .
    Pods I don't have many as I'd like - just a few. When we first started podding one shipment a year was 4 boxes to cover any shortage but they stopped that with the new pods.
    When she was on Dexcom we didn't have too much of a stockpile as the sensors have a pretty short shelf life.
    All kinds of random extra meters - I'll take any they'll send me for free.

Now that she's in college but living at home I don't need extra sets of everything at school so I'm trying not to keep as much.

12. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Completely prepared for zombie apocalypse here.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Dooms day prepping here too.
    Anything can happen. Job loss, change in coverage, change in copay, power outage, terrorist attack, script delays, etc. Your really need like a 6 month supply of everything. And I need enough insulin to last dd until I can figure out how to make it myself in the event of an apocalypse, zombie or otherwise. You don't want stuff like insulin or sensors going bad but you need plenty of evrything in case you need to make a quick getaway. I'm only half kidding.

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Here's something interesting I found on a site entitled "Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust":

Expiry dates
    According to the International Diabetes Institute, which incorporates the World Health Organisation Centre for Diabetes and Health Promotion, insulin manufacturers are required to place an ‘expiry date’ on each container of insulin but this date appears to be a nominal one, not based on available scientific evidence. The expiry date is usually 2 years after manufacture but varies between manufacturers and between countries. [ref1] The date is determined partly by commercial considerations but it also allows for a margin of error when storage conditions by the dispenser and consumer are unknown.

The table below shows the extremely long periods of time before the potency is reduced by even small amounts – no similar figures are available for analogue insulins.
    Time of storage of insulin preparations at various temperatures until biological potency is reduced by 2% and 5% respectively.

Here is a link to this table (on page 5 of the article):

http://www.iddt.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/looking-after-your-insulin.pdf

15. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We've got a few (2-3) months stockpile of pretty much everything except test strips. We seem to always be month to month with them.

16. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Insulin is the thing I worry about.... with enough insulin and a couple of syringes we could last quite a while - might not be good but would be okay... Of course I prefer to have enough of all the basics

17. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I have enough lancets to lance a small country, but I have nothing else but a boatload of MDI supplies in my stockpile. I went through my test strip stockpile during a week I was taking steroids (and was testing 18+ times a day, because the medication made me incredibly insulin resistant and unable to get below 250), and I only have the Humalog and Lantus pens as backup for pump failure.

I've recently been stockpiling the coupons for free boxes of Humalog pens. I know my stockpile pens will expire before the coupons do, so I might have to bother my endo so that she can write a 1x Rx for a box of Humalog pens (it's free insulin that I could use to fill my pump with or go back onto MDI). If my T2 father has to be placed on insulin within the next few years, at least his first box of insulin will be free, and he can't take from my supply.

18. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

ok currently we have the following:

Novolog=18 vials of novolog
    Lantus=2 vials (she's on a pump, so this is just back up)
    test strips=between 250-300 strips (we're due for a refill on 11/6)
    lancets (fast clix and multiclix)=11 boxes
    precison xtra ketone strips=9 boxes

ETA: Forgot about pump supplies. we're good on that too, but now sure how much we have. Ashleigh keeps those upstairs in her closet.

19. BarbDwyer

I don't have anything close to that much stuff ! This has been a good thread for me - thanks everyone :)

20. GChick

GChick Approved members

While I wouldn't know the exact quantity of any of my supplies... like most, test strips are one of the day to day items that I pretty much cant have "too much" of.

Insulin: While some might call it excessive and some not, I feel good on how much of those I have.

Infusion sets: Another thing that I generally purposefully stretch... as a few simple problems can cause you to just not have enough. I'm almost there with having what I consider to be a "good enough" buffer though.

Lancets: Pushaw! Even if I only have 5... that'd do :p (but as everyone does, have quite a bit more)

Cartridges: I can never run out of those I don't think (unless I have to go on steroids for a very long time)... unless the zombie apocalypse starts tomorrow that is. I get twice as much as I generally need EVERY month. The 300 unit Tslim cartridge ~usually~ lasts a week for me... rarely eight days, sometimes only 6 (but usually only if I've been a pig), and they send 3 boxes of 'em every three months. I should prolly call and ask them to just send two boxes... it'd still give me about a half a month buffer every three months.

ETA: Oh and BarbD... your son hasn't had it long enough for you to aquire quite the buffer that some of us have. In time I'm sure you will have enough of a buffer that you'd find sufficient. Its generally done through only slight "overprescription" (wrong word, but just items prescribed in such a way as you never know exactly how much of anything you need, so they prescribe slightly more than you should need) of things here and there to be safe, not by constant hoarding (well... for some of us it might just be excessive hoarding:smile:).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014