- advertisement -

Stinky washing machine

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Any suggestions as to why my washing machine is giving off a sulfur smell? It is a top loader, high efficiency. I do the monthly cleaning tablet and it's not so much the smell you get from residue buildup.

We aren't on a well, but are on a septic system. Smell is not emitting from anywhere else in house.

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Have you been using it recently? I know that when you do not use it for several days (maybe 5 or more), the drain can dry out and you will smell what I've been told are "sewer gases." If this is the case, pour about 3 c. water down the drain. If this is NOT the case, I don't have an answer.

3. Beach bum

We used it Sunday, I've used vinegar in place of fabric softener and afresh so I am at a loss.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When not in use do you leave the "door" open? Ours is also HE and top loader. I did run the "sanitize" cycle once, not sure it made any difference but leaving it open seems to help.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a top loader HE Cabrio (2 years old) and it developed the stinky smell last year. 'Sort of' to stay away if I use Clorox in the clean cycle. It doesn't empty all the water out from under neath the tub. You can move the tub fast when empty and hear the water still in there. I am about to order a SPeed Queen. Old fashioned one. The only one that fills for rinse cycle still.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I do an empty hot cycle with lots of bleach from time to time. It works well in my present not-HE top-loader, but I admit that it did not always do the trick completely with our last HE front-loader. As a PP said, there really was a lot of water sloshing around the bottom, even when we hadn't done a wash in a couple of weeks (no, I'm not that bad a housekeeper--I mean when we came back from being away for a bit). Those were the times things really got stinky. The bleach cycle helped but did not totally resolve the issue.

It is retched when your "clean" laundry comes out smelling awful, isn't it? :eek:

7. Beach bum

Yes, I hear water sloshing g around. I want my good old no frills machine back!

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

My next machine will probably be a speed queen too :)

I haven't had a ton of problems with smell from my front loader unless my husband leaves the door shut after a load, but I do the tub clean cycle with bleach every 6 weeks or so... I also clean out the lint trap regularly (a gross job, but I really think it helps prevent the washer from stinking).

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

If you had said it was a mildew or mold smell I would suspect one thing.

But a sulur smell is a different matter. Some ideas:

Gasses from the sewer/septic
    a bad anode in the water heating system
    a dry trap ( which should no longer be dry once it is used)
    a bad vent in the plumbing
    a dead animal nearby
    bad drywall in the room

So, does the washer heat water and does it use an anode?

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

See, if you had a Speed Queen top loader you wouldn't have these problems. Or any other. For like 20 years.;) The only adjustment you would have to make to it is to adjust a screw so it fills higher with water. Regulations limit the water level but there's a very easy way around that.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am so glad you guys post this - I no longer am jealous of your HE Washers...

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Is the smell carrying over to your clothes after they are dried?

13. Beach bum

Water comes from the water heater, no idea if there is an anode.

Smell only lasts for about 10 minutes then is gone and it does not transfer to clothes.

I so miss my Plain Jane washer we got for our wedding many moons ago. It was never the same after we moved houses so then we went to a HE front loader, hated that. Now on to the HE top loader...hate that. At our cottage we have a 25 year old double stack washer, no frills. I love that thing. When the time comes to replace it, I'm getting the same. Some things were just meant to be simple.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

Not sure I would care then.

15. Beach bum

The only reason I care is because for those 10 minutes or so it smells like someone is getting a perm. A really bad perm.