- advertisement -

Stinky Toddler Armpits? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BozziesMom, Oct 20, 2009.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

they will definitely check his hormone levels and they'll check for early signs of puberty. Little boys should not have bo smells to them - ever.

2. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

I'll be following your posts regarding this issue. My son has had b.o. pits :eek: for a while now. I would say about 2 - 3 years (he's 8). My ped says just to use clinical strength deo. which doesn't even help. With all the replies, I will be sure to ask about it more to make sure something else isn't going on.

3. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

My daughter started doing this around the age of 4. The doctors told us that we could use a deoderant but not antipresperant. She has to bath daily or her bo is awful.

Both her endo and pediatrician said that this happens earlier for some children in both diabetics and nondiabetics.

I have tried to notice if it worse with high sugar levels but it is not.

From what they have told us it isn't anything to worry about except for the social factor.

4. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

My Dd started with smelly arm pits when she was 3 also and I mean really smelly that is when we first got introduced to a ped endo and had lots of test ran and she did and does have pre-puberty. Her bones are 2-3 yrs older than her and she has had folicles (sp) on her ovaries since about 6.

We did a lupron injection to slow hers down and for her to reach a safe height and to prolong her starting. She is fully developed in areas and has been for awhile but so far has not started. We only did her Lupron for a year and she has been off of it for nearly a year now. it was a hard decission to make but after talking with ped and ped endo we did it and so far it has worked out.

I'm glad that you are looking into it and if you have any questions just pm me and I'll try to help if i can.

5. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

My son had the same thing last summer. The endo had him do a round of tests (blood and bone size) to test for precocious puberty. The Mayo Clinic web site had a nice summary that explained what that is, what tests they would do, etc.

My son didn't have it -phwew - though one of the blood tests was on the edge. So we've just been watching the growth patterns. We were just at the endo who said that it all seems fine now.

I did get info from CWD last year about switching to milk without the bovine growth hormones to stop the pre-puberty issues. We did and that seemed to be the thing that stopped the pit smell. There is controversy around this ... FDA says it is fine for humans, others say no. For me it was the talk of "insulin-like growth factor-1" in the rBST that swayed me. I am no scientist but it seemed like a bad idea to trust Monsanto that even small doses were just fine. And, as I said, it did seem to do the trick for my guy.

6. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Wow! Thanks everyone for your input. Could be any number of things. Let's see... well first, I can only smell his little pits if he's close to me... so it's not wafting about... secondly, how do you tell if you milk has the growth hormone in it? Mine says nothing about it. He HAS been drinking a lot more milk lately... so no new foods, but lots more of that one. hm... food for thought. Must find out more about the milk and how to ID that hormone in it. Anyone?

7. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

It will say on it that it does not have it....If it doesn't say that it doesn't you can assume it does.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  8. BozziesMom

That is absolutely my first order of business then. New milk! I'll let you know if it helps. :) Thanks!

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Try switching to organic soy, oat or almond "milk". Some of them have tastes like chocolate, vanilla or whatever, and are actually pretty good.:)
    Not sure about goat milk...probably too strong.:confused:

10. BozziesMom

I've never seen goat milk at the store anyway... goat cheese, yes. lol.

11. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I always have to wash Ava's hair when she's had ketones. So maybe he's getting them due to a growth spurt and you aren't picking them up at the moment, but it's coming out in the sweat?

12. BozziesMom

Perhaps. He has grown more in the past 3 months than his norm for the same period... and actually, his pits are ok today. uh... lol.

Nevertheless we are going to try the milk change... heck, why not? Can't hurt anything.

I'm so confused.

And his ketones did go up overnight to 0.6... very odd. Not sure if it wasn't enough Lantus or something else weird going on. Did give carbs and some insulin just to knock them down, you know... cuz any higher you start having to worry about drama. Something is definitely up. No ketones presently.

13. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

I did get info from CWD last year about switching to milk without the bovine growth hormones to stop the pre-puberty issues. We did and that seemed to be the thing that stopped the pit smell. There is controversy around this ... FDA says it is fine for humans, others say no. For me it was the talk of "insulin-like growth factor-1" in the rBST that swayed me. I am no scientist but it seemed like a bad idea to trust Monsanto that even small doses were just fine. And, as I said, it did seem to do the trick for my guy.[/QUOTE]

Two years ago Our local large chain grocery store (HEB) switched all their store brand milk to Hormone free milk...AWESOME so now I buy all our milk there. Called our reg Pedi about it today and she said for Owen it was probably his ketones as he hasn't had the stinky pits since dx and start on insulin...and you we're saying boz had trace ketones. I am leaning that way...I'm still going to ask our endo about it again on tues. appt.

14. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

We have a local dairy that sells in all our stores - not organic (which I would love to buy but it just enormously expensive) but hormone free. It is obvious and advertised and it's only 15-30? more a gallon. well worth the money to us! Some grocery stores have started their local brand with no hormones. Check labels. Organic is best but if you can't afford that, go for hormone free.

We used to live by a dairy and oh how I miss milk that did not taste like cardboard or plastic!:p

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coming in late - but we switched to hormone free milk a 5 years ago when my then 8 yr old daughter started prepuberty, complete with bo and pit hair! Along with spotting and other girly things...within 1 month, it was gone - not the hairy pits, but everything else. She started puberty at a more normal age.

Funny that now, most of the milks in our area a hormone free- 5 yrs ago, it was tough and expensive to find!

16. BozziesMom

Update on Toddler Armpits... we've been 10 days on the milk with no growth hormone. Now we have no more stinky pits - seems it cleared up around day 3 after the change. Thanks to those of you who suggested that! Whodda thunk it?

All we have available is the expensive organic... but now nobody else in the house will drink the cheaper stuff anyway after trying this stuff! It is good. lol...

17. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Wow. That is remarkable and scary. On the same topic, my sister in law works at a Boston Boys and Girls Club. She has 9 year olds who have started their cycle. Can you imagine? Same thought, that it's the growth hormones in milk and beef.

Only organic at my house.

18. BozziesMom

Obviously, I am now a true believer that the growth hormone is BAD to put in our food. My god.

19. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I've gone years using milk without rBST but my Grace is still developing, what seems to be early anyway... You should see the difference in her from last year till now... it's quite remarkable. She also uses deodorant. :eek:

20. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

[​IMG]
    Grace on her birthday last November 25, 08

[​IMG]
    Grace and Mercy on the first day of school, Sept 11, 09.