- advertisement -

Steroids Suck!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

I posted several weeks ago about my son's bad case of poison ivy and needing to take steroids. Well, his numbers practically doubled! And with that we had to practically double his Novolog and Lantus. His numbers still ran high. His last steroid pill was almost two weeks ago and we are finally seeing his numbers come down to right around 100 though his Lantus is still at double what it was before steroids. We are trying to be more proactive when it comes to poison ivy and I hope we never have to go through that again!

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Yes, yes they do. We have to nearly double the lantus and often more than double his novo when Campbell is on steroids. I also find the highs last nearly a week after he's done with them. I've gotten better at managing when he's on steroids, but it's still a challenge.
    I'm glad you're done with them, and I hope you can avoid the poison ivy and the steroids in the future. The poison ivy reaction and discomfort probably added to the highs as well.:(

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I never truly understood the meaning of "necessary evil" until my son had to be on prednisone for 6 months due to an autoimmune issue. His insulin needs tripled! Then as we gradually decreased the pred dose, we had to constantly readjust his insulin dose. We won't even go into the awful mood swings caused by long term prednisone;)

4. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

I sympathize with you! Right after Matthew's diagnosis, he had to have steroids for the same reason.

Oh my word! I could not believe his numbers. CraZy!

But you have to do what you have to do. Still....no fun.....

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Steroids are the worst. Everytime DD has them her insulin needs triple and seldom come down much.

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

was he still in honeymoon? I cring when they order it for us.