- advertisement -

Stepson Diagnosed 12.6.11

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AnjelTeacher, Dec 26, 2011.

1. AnjelTeacher

AnjelTeacher Approved members

Hey there everyone! I'm Candi from Nashville, TN and my stepson was diagnosed with T1D on Tuesday, December 6, 2011. Even after several weeks its still been a lot to take in and so much to learn. Its been very overwhelming especially with the holidays. I've done my absolute best to stay strong when we are with Christopher but other times I just break down and cry. But I am very proud of how he is doing and we are finding our way as we go each and everyday. I am hoping to find some advice, knowledge, and even that needed support to get through all the changes we are making.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome to the forum! My daughter was diagnosed at age 10 and spent her 11th birthday in the hospital, and she's doing great. The adjustment was rough in the beginning, but for us, now it is becoming routine. Not a routine we wanted, but definitely one we can live and thrive with.

We did MDI for 13 months and then switched to pumping/CGMing for puberty concerns. My daughter was vehemently opposed to being tethered...and now wouldn't go back. Different people chose different styles of treatment; there's not a right or wrong one, just whatever works best for the child and family system.

Christopher will probably list the great reference books. If not, search for one of his posts to another newbie.

Good luck. It gets easier after time, both management and emotions.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Candi, you came to the right place:) Im very sorry about your stepsons diagnosis. I hope he is feeling well and that youre all enjoying the holidays despite diabetes. Any questions you have, ask away. We are here to support you and your family on this journey with type 1 diabetes:cwds:

4. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

Hiya Candi!! Glad you made it over to the boards. I think we'll both find all the information here very invaluable to help Christopher manage his diabetes. I've already learned so much in a short amount of time thanks to the forums!

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We Christopher's have to stick together. :)

Welcome but sorry you have to be here.

When you have some time, here are a few books that you might find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

6. AnjelTeacher

Thanks so much for the response and the support! Christopher will be 12 in Feb. and I know we are wondering about the pump and if it is something he will want to do. :)

7. AnjelTeacher

Thank you so much Becky! Its been lots of ups and downs with the holidays, but school is back in next week so we will make some more adjustments then. Thank you for the support, we will definitely be on often with any questions or concerns that come up.

8. AnjelTeacher

Thanks Barbie, anything that helps us with everything will definitely be a bonus. :)

9. AnjelTeacher

Thanks so much Christopher!! I love the pink panther book, we actually got that from the clinic and its been full of information. I will check those other books out.

10. MomofSweetOne

Has anyone mentioned to you guys about nutrition scales that weigh and give carb counts? I found one at Target about a month after diagnosis and felt like I'd won the jackpot. It alone made life so much easier. We now have one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that does the same thing (the first one met up with water:confused:) Our hospital is still not telling newbies, which baffles me. Probably a case of teaching it but not living with it!

11. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

I have a scale at home, but not one that counts carbs too. That would be awesome! We have part two of our "boot camp" coming up on Tuesday, so hopefully we'll learn more. :)

12. AnjelTeacher

Barbie has a scale at home, I will definitely have to get one especially if there's one out there that counts carbs, I bet it makes things so much easier. Thank you so much for letting us know!!!

13. AnjelTeacher

Hopefully, is right. I have been looking at all sorts of stuff for supplies to, so maybe we can find some ways to save money.

14. MomofSweetOne

We saved our box with its foam for taking the scale along with us on outings. You could either have one that travels with him or one for both homes. For his sake, I would recommend getting the same brand as different brands use different codes if you get one for each home. My daughter has the codes memorized for the things she eats frequently, and it saves her time and frustration.

15. AnjelTeacher

We will definitely have to do that!! Thanks for the great advice :)

16. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Can I just say that after all the posts I have seen from divorced parents and step parents who do not get along, and cannot come together or agree on Diabetes care, it is really really nice to see the two of you getting along and working together for the benefit of your boy. I wish all of us divorced folks could operate this way. He is lucky to have you both in his corner.

17. AnjelTeacher

Thanks Mama Bear! Christopher is the most important thing in the world and even though he's not biologically mine, he's still mine(if that makes sense). He and his well being are whats important and I grew up in a divorced home and my dad was always bad mouthing my mom and I hated it. I want Christopher to grow up happy and well-balanced and us all working together plays a big part in that. Plus, with the 4 of us getting along it does show Christopher that he has all the love and support he needs to get through each and everyday.

18. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

That makes perfect sense. I have a step daughter and though I divorced her and my kid's father over a decade ago, she is still mine. And though she wants nothing to do with her father (long story) she does still want to keep touch with the kids and I. If she needed me I'd be there in a heartbeat. :) Like I said before, it really is nice to see. Kudos to all of you. :)

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think the Salter 1450 scale is one of the best out there. I use it everyday and it has been very helpful in managing her diabetes.

20. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

It's so important to have both sets of parents in the same corner. I know that Candi, Chris (dad) and I all grew up in a divorced household and it was tough. It takes the whole family to care for a child and since we all put Christopher first, it just works. :)