advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State laws and policies for diabetes care in the school setting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by frizzyrazzy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

2. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Thanks for this.... I will be meeting first time with school folk on Monday.. and its good to know a little of my son's rights....

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that is one of the most useful resources the ADA has on it's site. ;)

It deserves it's own thread :cwds: Thanks, Michelle.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Oh thank you! Not in need of it this year but I'm sure saving it for next!

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Maybe a stickie?

6. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Thank you so much for posting this!

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Oh man! I would have welcomed this info back when I got started! Definitely should be stickied!

8. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Sitcking for all to see as school begins.

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Thanks for the sticky, Jeff. It'll be a great help to many!

10. bisous

bisous Approved members

Great resource. Thanks for posting! I have a new friend that I met with a daughter in a different school district. Every district, every school seems to be a different story, a different battle. It is nice to have access to the law. That's tough to argue with!

11. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Thank you so much for this.

12. Noahsgrammy

Noahsgrammy New Member

School problems

My DGS goes to a private religious school and the new principal is making our lives miserable. Latest is he has to take all his shots in the office. Seems ADA doesn't apply to private schools unless they receive federal funds. It's the only decent private school for 30 miles. Is there no recourse for families like us?

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Not that this helps you, but there is a Texas state law for public schools in Texas stating that students can manage their diabetes anywhere on campus - but independently. Isn't your grandson only 8? I am not sure even at a public school in Texas he could do the shot anywhere. He would need supervision for the shot and to dispose of the syringe properly. The folks in the office probably have the time to deal with this better. The classroom teacher shouldn't have giving or supervising shots added to her list of duties.

My son did his shots in the office at his private school. It was easier that way than carrying supplies or keeping them in the classroom. His school was small and the office was conveniently located. The office staff made sure he had the right amount.

Is it not manageable for your son to do the shots in the office? Most do a single shot at lunch.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013