- advertisement -

Starting the pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Portabella, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

We started the pump about 2 months ago. When we started, the doctor put in the pump settings and told us to check his BG at 3 am for the first 3 nights, and the usual frequency of tests during the day, and we made adjustments as we go. There was no basal rate test, no checking every 1-2 hours, and no checking during the night except for 3am a couple of times. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I kinda expected all this to be more detailed?

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That sounds like what I was asked to do on behalf of my daughter. To this day, they've never suggested basal testing and the practice doesn't believe in regular overnight testing.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

Our endo had us do basal checks and lots of day and night time checks until we knew the pump was really dialed in. I would definitely do more night time checks for a week or so to make sure the basal's are right. With out a CGM you need to do at least some night time checks even after your happy with the basal rates. Maybe not every night if he's nice and stable, but it won't be that way forever. You never know when the honeymoon will end or a growth spurt will change things. Before our CGM we checked at least once a night, some where between 1-3am for us. The first time they wake up at 45 or 400 you feel REALLY bad that you didn't do a check...

4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

That's interesting. Our Endo's office has never suggested basal testing, but we did it with the Animas nurse when we were first set up on the Ping. She didn't make my son do too much because he was so little and it is hard for him to go without food, but we did do the overnight one.

I would test as much as you feel is necessary for your child, we were told we didn't have to test at night too, but I feel more comfortable if we do.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

Our team really pushed basal testing. If the basal's not right the I/C ratios and correction sensitivity can't be because they have to compensate for the basal being wrong. I think it also depends on your child's bolus/basal percentage. The less basal your child needs the less critical. My daughter is a bit out of the box in that she runs 75% basal to bolus so basal rates are very critical for us.

6. littleaudrey15

littleaudrey15 Approved members

I would do the checks as often as makes you feel comfortable - Whether the doctor suggests it or not. You have to do what is right for you and for your child. We always do the night time checks, just because it makes me feel better and my son's numbers are not always consistent for us at night. We've had to change his basal settings a few times, so then we always continue to check to make sure it is not fluctuating.. Give it time, and you will feel more comfortable knowing what to do.