- advertisement -

starting kindergerten and worried

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cframe5, Sep 26, 2014.

1. cframe5

cframe5 New Member

Hello everyone,

My 5 year old just started kindergarten in BC Canada (there was a strike)
    There is a nurse going to the school to teach the teachers about diabetes and we made up a plan for different situations,
    but I'm super worried!! she is going all day
    she did go to preschool but it was only a couple hours a few days a week
    I'm just a nervous wreck the whole time I'm not with her!! she can check herself, and she is on injections which she only needs in the morning and at night.
    does anyone have any info they could share with me?
    how did you all deal with this milestone?
    Ive set up an emergency kit to keep at the school, but there is not a full time nurse there.

I'm just so worried :(
    thank you for any help

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Letting go is hard. During the first few years, September would always mean I was spending a lot of time lurking around school. :wink:

It would probably make you feel better to be in on the training of the teachers, is that possible? Most of all you want to be sure that the school is well supplied, that your daughter's teachers know that you will answer any question, clarify any confusion and that you see yourself as a helpful partner in this process.

I think it's so important for our kids to do everything that their peers do, to know that adults other than mom and dad can care for them and keep them safe. Hopefully the teachers will step up and in a few weeks you will be able to relax and enjoy knowing that she's safe. :cwds:

3. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Wow! We have all been there right with you. My son was diagnosed at 2 1/2. Every milestone was a challenge. I remember starting kindergarten and I was so scared. We have now made it all the way to 2nd grade!

Just try to have an open relationship with your nurse. Mine will email me if things are wierd or call. Open lines of communication are so important.

As for your sanity - just try to take it one day at a time at the beginning. It will be hard - but it will get better! One day at a time -