- advertisement -

Starting Kindergarten in September

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CameronsMom, Apr 11, 2011.

1. CameronsMom

CameronsMom Approved members

Although I have been "silently surfing" the CWD site for the past year and a half, I have finally decided to take the plunge and become actively involved in the forums. My son, Cameron, is starting public school in the fall and I am finding myself to have more questions than answers! Cameron was diagnosed on September 30th of 2009 and the preschool he currently attends is AMAZING! I almost wish he could stay there forever! But, he can't... and public school is staring me in the eye! I have already formed a relationship with the school nurse and she called me this afternoon to suggest a 504 plan for Cameron. After reading many posts, I am left to assume that a 504 would be beneficial for everyone.

The school nurse also mentioned sending a letter home to the parents of the children in Cam's kindergarten class. This letter would inform the parents about Cameron's diabetes. I don't like this idea!! When I asked why the parents needed to be informed she said it would be helpful if a child goes home and asks questions about diabetes- this letter would offer the parent some information and a possible answer for their child. I don't think Cam's diabetes needs to be broadcasted. I don't want him to feel any different from any of the other kids. When school starts, the nurse is going to teach his class about diabetes and how Cam checks his number and what not. Cameron, so far, has remained pretty private about BG checks at school and I'm not sure how he'll feel about this.

Hoping to get some feedback from those of you who already have a CWD in school or getting ready to go into Kindergarten! :)

2. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Hi, and welcome. WHen our daughter was dx'd she was 7, in second grade. Not having any other reference, I followed the advice of the diabetic nurse educator...which was, "the more people that know about her diabetes are more people that could help her, if need be"

I did a little "talk in her class" and as the Brownie leader, do so in scouts. We've made diabetes just a part of her life, and we feel comfortable with people knowing. If she was ever low and needed help. at least some kid might yell for someone.

We've treated it as just another part of time, that eveyrone has their issues and the kids at school, (and parents) dont' make a big deal either.

and ps. many parents are so kind and offer carb counts for treats. Good Luck!!

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I wouldn't do a letter.

-majority won't read it
    -a lot won't understand it-they will probably read diabetes and assume its the same kind grandma has.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I did a letter for preschool, but not for kindergarten. I went in to talk to his preschool and kindergarten classes, but didn't do it for 1st grade.

I think it's up to you and your son. There is no "right" answer here, but it's really none of the nurse's/school's business either way.

Welcome to CWD! :)

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

A 504, very good idea, even if you don't think you'll need it.. the time to do it is when everything is going well. As for the letter home, NO WAY! That breaks hippa laws. I would put my foot down right there. When there are class parties and field trip the parents will figure it out on their own.

If she insists on a letter the ONLY way I'd agree to is that it be done without the mention of his name, class, or gender... BUT this opens a whole can of worms, I honestly would tell her no (as nice as I could;)).

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Sending a letter home would not violate the federal law that protects the privacy of your son's medical information ... if you consent to it. The nurse does need your consent, so think about whether or not this is something you want. If you do not agree, the nurse should not be sending out any letter like that.

7. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I can understand why you don't want a letter sent out to the other kids. My fear would be that parents would interpret that your child can't have sugar and can't be included in birthday treats, party treats etc. As someone else said...they will assume it's like Grandma's diabetes. I would tell her you aren't comfortable with that plan. The nurse gets high marks for suggesting a 504 though!!

8. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

My DD started kindergarten this year. We didn't do a 504, but wish I pushed harder for it. When I suggested it at our meeting with my Dd's teacher, nurse, and vice principal, the vice principal kept assuring me it was not really needed and they would accommodate her with anything she needed. although I had all my papers with me on how important it was, I just went with what they told me :p but like flutterby said, it's prob best to do it when things are going well! My Dd's school have been wonderful though!! Her nurse and teacher are awesome!! I will have one for next year.
    As for the letter, I don't think it's at all necessary. There's no reason every parent needs to know. When they have birthday cupcakes brought to class, the nurse calls me and describes the cupcake and I tell her how much to bolus for.
    My Dd's teacher sent a letter out concerning a child with peanut allergies, not mentioning the Childs name. Now that is understandable to have since it effects everyone in the class (so nobody brings a snack to class with peanuts). I think if your child wants anybody to know he has diabetes, then he'll let them know. Maybe you can ask what he thinks about the whole class being taught about his diabetes. If he's not comfortable with it, don't let her do it!! My daughter is not private and it doesn't bother her with people knowing. I don't think it's a bad thing for the nurse to just give the other kiddos in the class a little heads up, some basic info. We never did anything like that, but I'm sure most of the kids in her class know about it. They ARE curious and ask questions, since she wears her cgm and pod where it's visible to everyone.

9. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

heck no to the letter! Buy this book and have the teacher read it in class. Most parents get a billion papers/flyers at the beginning of school and they won't read it or care. During class parties, the same moms who always take care of the food always offer sunny d and grapes to Tony, I have no clue why even though I've told them he's no different, I think they think he survives off of fruit of artificial fruit-like products lol. We used that book for preschool and kindergarten.
    The ADA has some great info on their site and many cities have a safe at school workshop in late summer that is very helpful about your rights and the 504 process.

10. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Thats great that the nurse actually is talking to you about a 504 for a start. When Miranda started kindergarten my wife and I attended the open house, meet the parents and the teacher kind of night. There were no kids attending and I did stand up and speak about Miranda and her D, kept it simple and short and they knew that I could answer any questions they may have. Other posters are right, the letter may go home, may be read, or just confused with type 2. We wanted to at least let the other parents have a heads up because kids are kids and they can be curious. Fortunately the class knows who I am now through volunteering but some kids still ask questions when they see me test her. At first one little girl was scared because every time the nurse came in to the class for Miranda's lunch test she thought everyone had to be tested:)

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I totally suggest jumping at the chance to get a 504 in place since the nurse suggested it. You may not need much on it for K but it will help make sure everyone knows what is expected of the other.
    I personally wouldn't do the letter. What my teacher did was ask that parents let her know at least a day before they bring in birthday snacks, etc. The nurse also talked to the class and read a little book to them. Charlie is very open about diabetes so he also went in front of the class and answered questions.

12. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

I would not do the letter either. For me the only time I tell people about his diabetes is if I feel they have a need to know.

13. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Amanda is starting Kindergarten too in the Fall...however she did preschool in the same district this year for a few hours a day and even took the school bus to and from...Meet with the nurse before the end of school year in June...get that 504 in place... I agree NO to the letter...and just call and let you know when cupcakes or special treats are brought in so you can bolus..thats what I do too...I never wanted Amanda to be excluded..and have a different snack..but thats just me!

*I meant, the nurse can bolus!

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Welcome. Definately get the 504.

I would not do the letter. If the school insists on doing the letter, then I would not allow my sons name to be in the letter and I would ask if they send home letters about all the kids with other chronic illness ie: asthma.

If your son wants you to, you could always go in and read an age appropriate book to the class about diabetes. My son had me do this when he was in 2nd and 3rd grade...mostly because he didn't feel like explaining to the kids why he was testing or had to go to the nurse before lunch.

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We never did a letter and my son has refused for the nurse to talk to the class. She still asks him every year if she can talk to the class and he is now in 4th grade! He did not want a whole conversation revolving around his private medical concern. So my answer is if your son is private about his diabetes, respect that decision and say no to the letter and the talk. My son was mortified once when a substitute tried to explain to the class about diabetes. If anything, just get the proper people trained and leave it at that. If he does finger pokes in the classroom, the children will quit staring at about day 2! My son's kdg teacher would say "Sam is just taking care of himself" when students would ask what he was doing. Sometimes, simple is better. Good luck.

16. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Since starting school, I have gone in and read the Taking diabetes to school book to my DD class in the beginning of the year. (her choice for me to read it). There was no letter sent home, I've heard from parents at different events that the kids did ask them questions about it but there were no issues. We have a strict no unscheduled food/parties in the classroom because of allergies primarily. So when there is an event I preplan with the nurse.
    I started at 504 in kindergarten. Nothing real big on it to start but over the next few years I'm sure there will be :)