- advertisement -

Starting I:C Ratio - any good tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Gilliansmom, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

Well, we have begun the I:C ratio! I'm a bit overwhelmed and my dd does not want to talk about diabetes every waking moment. "Mommy please, do we have to keep talking about this?" "Yes" I answer her. We will give it our best effort and see if her numbers are better this way. I'm convinced that being on vacation, the holiday eating and being on a completely different schedule made a huge difference in her BG's, WOW. She seems to back to her regular BG's now that she is back at school. I know I can always count on this site to answer any questions we might have, so thank you in advance for the help and support.
    Lisa

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

So what carb ratio do you have? And do you have a scale so that you can accurately weigh things and estimate carb content of foods?

3. Gilliansmom

Her I:C is 1:22 and we do have a scale. Tried weighing mashed potatoes last night and I thought we calculated ok, but she was 280 at bedtime. We calculated according to calorieking.com 1oz. =4.8 carbs, so we did 4.5oz of the potatoes and calculated it to be about 20 carbs plus 1/2 chicken cutlet and she wanted a twix bar for dessert. So we did 69 grams of carbs so 3 units of insulin. What do you think? Help...

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we started out with a set I:C at meals, but now they are different for every meal. He needs the most in the mornings and barely anything for dinner. It took awhile to figure that one out!

5. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We also have had different ratios for each meal since about two weeks after diagnosis. But it does take time to figure that out. A lot of d kids I know have high BG's after potatoes and have to dose differently. Are you pre-bolusing?

6. Gilliansmom

what is pre-bolusing?

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Giving some or all of the insulin before the meal. Because food acts quicker than insulin, it helps "match up" the action of the insulin to the food better if you can dose 15-20 minutes before the meal. (We do 30 minutes for breakfast.) Basically it helps minimize the post-meal spike.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sounds like she needs more insulin at dinner. I also agree with the pre-bolousing idea. Potatoes can be tricky as well. They absorb more slowly than some foods so you can see a spike later on in the night.

Not sure what kind of scale you have but I recommend the Salter 1450 scale. It is very accurate and it has a database of over 1400 foods. So, for example, for an apple all you would do is place it on the scale, type in Apple and the scale will tell you how many carbs are in that particualr apple. Also good for liquids. Instead of pouring milk into a measuring cup and then into her glass just put a glass on the scale pour the milk directly into it until you reach the desired amount and you are done. I use mine every single day.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Where did the 1:22 ratio come from? You certainly did all the math ok. Could be the ratio is off and needs to be tweaked..

10. Gilliansmom

The I:C ratio came from the DNE we work with. I wouldn't even know where to begin to figure that out. I'm also confused. We have been giving her the insulin before she eats, that's the way we have always done it. Are we supposed to be doing it differently now that we changed to I:C ratio way of dosing? I'm so confused and you guys all sound so smart when it comes to this. I know I'm just a beginner and we will all learn, but holy cow! Thanks for your help as always...

11. Gilliansmom

I just picked up a scale at the store, the Salter scale you can do that much with, it sounds like a good idea. thanks...

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

For sure you want to keep giving the insulin before the meal.. :cwds: