- advertisement -

Starting Apidra

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Sep 16, 2011.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's been in the fridge for a while, and I really should put it in the pump and play around with it a bit before I go to university.

When you started using Apidra, did it really mess up a few days? I mean, do I want to start it on a day that I'm not planning on doing much? Is it liable to screw things up badly? :p Or is it just the case that BGs might be a bit whacky, but nothing that can't be solved by a temp basal (i.e. normal diabetes)?

I'm nervous. :eek:

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

The only thing we needed to change was the IOB with novolog it was set at 4 hours. With the apidra we have it a 2.5 hours. We found it works much faster and has cut back on post meal spikes.

You might have to tweak it a bit but I don't think it will be drastic. Just remember it works fast so don't delay meals.

Good luck I think you will be happy with it. :)

3. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

Hi,

We started Apidra in early August for our daughter Lila - she is pumping with Omnipod. I tend to over analyze things and hoard information and data - so i asked on here but didn't get a huge amount of feedback - which kind of made me feel better that there weren't a ton of issues.

We did change the IOB to 2.5 hours but didn't change the other ratios. We had just changed them due to a usual growing kid demands but they insulin change didn't seem to require further adjustments. i think that it does work faster than Humalog - and when she has a stubborn high that would have taken humalog 3 or 4 hours to budge, the Apidra seems to impact the bg faster.

We're relatively newbies at this, but we are very happy.

I wish you good luck!

Emily

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We didn't change anything other than insulin duration - set it to 2 hours. It worked amazingly for about two weeks - no breakfast spikes - great numbers. Things started going a bit hokey in week three - strange no delivery errors - insane high numbers that we had never had before - site failures after a day - I researched here and basically it looked like our sure-Ts might be the problem. We switched to silhouettes and we haven't had a no delivery error since. So just keep an eye out for that. Good luck - I hope it works out for you. I miss the sure-Ts but I don't miss the Humalog.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I had to slightly tweak my afternoon and evening basals (increase them) because of the very short "tail" with apidra, there was no lingering meal insulin left around.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hope it works great for you.

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Yeah, it messed us up for about a week. It seemed like his body didn't know what it was for a few days. But, hey, who knows; maybe he just had a growth spurt at the same time.

So what if it takes a little adjustment. Trust me, you've been at this long enough; you can manage the adjustment period just fine. For Jacob, basals went up, DIA went down. The big question is how well it will work long term and you may or may not like it long term. The only reason to switch is if you think it has a benefit you are not getting from your current insulin. If that's the case, then you just go for it. If you have been on the fringe for awhile then you have already spent more time just thinking about it than the actual adjustment period is.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, I put it in my pump this morning. I've been walking around all day (shopping :rolleyes:) which usually makes me go low, but today I ran a little high (180-200). Got home and stopped moving around about 1.5 hours ago, and my BG is now going up fast (20pts every 5 minutes, according to CGM). So, I think I might need to increase my basal rates.

I've only got one vial right now, to test out and see how I like it. That vial should last me around 22 days; do you think that is long enough to judge it as an insulin?

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I think you'll know if you'll like it within a week or so... certainly within 3 you'll know for sure :)

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Good luck, I really like using the apidra.. we did change somethings at first, but they went right back to where they were a few days later.. I'm not sure if it just happened to be what was going to happen anyway at that time, or if it was the apidra.. in anycase, kaylee's been on it for a year, I like the fact that it works faster.