- advertisement -

Starting a local support group

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by juliesmom, May 5, 2010.

1. juliesmom

juliesmom Approved members

Monday DH and I were in the school nurses office dropping off a cupcake for the nurse and secretaries (leftovers from classroom party for Julies B-day:)) we overheard her talking to her boss I assume that she has a newly diagnosed Diabetic and now she has 6 between the two schools. This is a shared middle school and elementary. My heart sank. So right away I just jotted down a little note that if the mom would like to contact me to feel free with my number. On the way home DH suggested that I start a little support group. I do know that there is nothing in the immediate area. I was thinking to make a flier and ask the nurse to give it to the students to take home. I think it would be nice for the parents and the children to get together once in awhile. Has any one else done this? Please share your ideas. Thanks

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I think its a great idea.. we've been going to the same support group for 4 years.. Kaylee loves it, most of the kids have been going the same amount of time and 4, including Kaylee, were diagnosed in the same 'cluster' all within a 4 week time span... Its once a month, she asked the other day how long we can go.. I told her its for her and we will go until she doesn't want to.. so she asked if could still go when she was 20, 50, 80 and a 110.. I said, that she could, but at anytime she didn't want to go, let me know and we will stop..

She LOVES seeing the kids.. she's the only t1 in the school.. so getting together an hour and a half once a month is great for her.

3. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I think its a great idea! I would love to get one started around the DFW area.

4. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Let me know where you are in SoCal - I am near LAX and know of one group in Long Beach, but would be happy to spread the word if you are nearby.

5. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

A friend of mine and I recently started a support group in our area. Right now we don't have big numbers as far as those that attend our metings. However we do hope to get the word out so if there are others in our area that would like to take part they can.
    So far we have just met, shared stories and experiences. We had a recipe exchange (with carb counts of course;)). We have also done one fundraiser with another in the works for later this summer. We would like to have some speakers too in the future as our numbers grow. We are always open to suggestions and ideas especially from others who have done this before.
    I wish you luck in establishing your new support group. Maybe we can bounce a few ideas off of each other :).

6. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI

Fantastic idea... Myself and a few other moms started one over here in phoenix,.. What we did was started a yahoo group page.. ( easy to do and its free) Then we invited every one we knew in our area that all had diabetes. We also let our endo's office, and the local JDRF and ADA know as well... IT has been fantastic and has grown alot over the last 3 years.

Pm me if youi need any help