- advertisement -

Started with the new, smaller pod today!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, May 1, 2013.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm just shocked that the supplier would send new pods without a new PDM - Edgepark wouldn't do that for us. They sent the PDM of course. This sounds like a supplier fumble ... not Insulet.

2. swellman

I haven't looked for a system setting to turn it off but it absolutely is included in the calculations. I have to override the bolus calculations all the time. I really haven't looked at the manual so ...

To be honest, I just don't get how people use it and not go high all the time but, again, I need to read ...

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I do not believe that one can change the manner in which the PDM calculates a bolus. The option is only to turn suggested bolus calculations on or off; if it is on, then the bolus calculation will use IOB in the calculation. That's how I am reading pages 31 and 144.

4. Traci

Traci Approved members

I could have sworn that a rep told me I'd be able to turn it off, but perhaps he meant the entire bolus calc. What a pain. Yep, definitely hanging on to our old one!

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Since the smaller (better) ones are already on the market, the old pods should be on sale! 50% off let's say and my DD would use them all!:D

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Ahhhh? fascinating. Our Rx went through this week and the rep called me to ask me if we are sure we want to submit the order right away, since she's had a couple of insurance denials lately. I said, "Yes, of course I want to submit it! I just spent quite a bit of energy persuading the doctor to allow a pump now. Why would I fight so hard for it, and then wait?" (only 2 months post dx)

Then she said it could take up to three weeks to hear back from our insurance, which doesn't make sense, since we'd already been told exactly what our insurance would cover and what our share would be. Now? if the new PDMs are backordered, maybe this was her evasive maneuver?

Verrrry curious.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I'm really not understanding this "supply" issue at all. We've been on the pod 3 years. We can't get the PDM through Insulet. We recently had to replace the PDM and they told me they couldn't send us the new one. Replacd with old. This was about 3 weeks ago. Then I hear there is a supply issue. Yet, as someone suggested above, you can get them thru American Diabetes Wholesale. I went online and ordered it and the pods. They took care of calling dr for prescription and we will have it this week. This makes no sense. If there is a shortage, how does a supplier have them? This whole thing is so poorly managed.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I would call your insurance company and I would tell them that you were sent the wrong equipment for diabetes management due to a "supplier issue" and won't be able to use the medical supplies (at all).

Anyways file a formal complaint.

(sent from my phone)

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If companies that upgraded to a new model had to discard or sell their old stock at a discount, it would remove incentive to release the new version at all until all old ones were used up, and that would require new users to switch to the new model just after starting the old one. I think it's reasonable for those of us who use the old pod to continue to use it until the supply of the old model has been utilized. The old one is every bit as good as the new one, it's just a little larger.

10. swellman

Except, you know ... Apple ...

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Well that's a status symbol, this is an insulin pump ;)

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

True, but Insulet has been teasing us with this smaller pod for YEARS now. So when it was FINALLY FDA approved, those of us that have been loyal customers just assumed we would be the first to get them. Silly us. :rolleyes:

13. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think there are good reasons for ramping up production and selling to new customers first. To be honest, although it was my understanding that the new pods were just around the corner when we started pumping in June 2010, I did not think that a new PDM was going to be provided to me as part of an upgrade either.

For me, the disappointment was the statements on the March 2013 earnings call, inaccurate information from Insulet phone reps, and the (surprising) difficulty I had in even getting the new stuff by paying out of pocket. I think the company should have set more modest expectations at the outset and done a better, more proactive job communicating with existing customers, particularly about the subsequent delays and longer transition timeline.

All in all, I remain satisfied with the original product and am very happy with the new pods. So far, we have not had post pod change highs AT ALL and no longer do an increased basal plus a general bolus. The cannula seems a bit shorter--or perhaps the angle is slightly different--I don't know if that is the reason-- but I am quite pleased to abandon that bit of pod "voodoo." The range seems good, DD finds it much lighter, and we have not had issues so far with the new IOB calculations. So far, so good.

14. khannen

khannen Approved members

Our warranty is up in mid-July. I didn't just ASSUME we would be the first to get them. Insulet themselves told me many times that existing customers would come first. Lied through their teeth obviously. The whole thing just pisses me off. Our warranty will expire and we'll end up having to pay a huge chunk out of pocket that insurance won't cover. I'm tempted to just switch pumps altogether.

15. sooz

sooz Approved members

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I know of 2 people who've gotten shipments of the big pods with "manufactured on" dates of 3/2013 and 4/2013.

17. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I am not sure that I understand the significance of this. I would not have expected the company to cease all manufacturing of the old pods as soon as the new pods were approved -- we are seeing that the transition is taking longer than expected as it is.

18. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

The impression being given is that they need to use up the stock of old pods before transitioning to the new ones. But if they're still manufacturing the old ones then that's not what's happening.

19. swellman

Pods and PDM are two completely different things. They can't possibly stop production of older pods until everyone has new PDMs and since we don't really know why the PDMs haven't been completely distributed I think it's premature to speculate why they are still manufacturing older pods - except that they still need to supply them to older PDM owners.

20. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I didn't really have that impression. I thought that they were gradually ramping up production of the new pods and that part of the issue were some hiccups in that process. I suspect that one of the reasons that they are willing to upgrade in-warranty customers is that lets them discontinue manufacturing the old pods sooner ... their margins on the new pods are higher, so they have an incentive to transition to 100% small pod production.