- advertisement -

started pumping yesterday!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommy For Life, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Yikes we made the leap to the pump! Last night was a long night checking bgs and giving support to dd because she having discomfort wearing the contact D in her belly. Advice? I was only given the short tubing so the belly is her only option for now. I am super proud that despite her discomfort DD's attitude is positive and she eager to help count carbs, assist with bolusing using the remote, and is overall trying her best to make this work. The pump is something she has wanted, but the discomfort on the infusion site is somewhat discouraging. At one point last night she said the pump just reminded her she had diabetes and it wasn't fair that she had D! :( sorry for the ramble....long night, little sleep, tomorrow will be 6 months since dx. The pump start brought up all those same feelings when we left hospital 6 months ago.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We used a steel set when we first started pumping - generally it was ok but my dd did find it, if not uncomfortable, then just something that she was aware of. We switched to the insets and now use the Mios.

I'm confused by the "short tubing" comment. We use what I believe to be the shortest tubing, 23" and don't find in any way that that requires a tummy site. Can you clarify that point?

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Short tubing (23") does mean that I can't use my arms, but I'd imagine I'm a lot taller, so I'm also confused by the comments.

4. Mommy For Life

Yes it is the 23 in tubing, but we tried to see if the arm would be option when we going through the training but the tubing seemed a bit short to run back up her arm and down her chest to her waist where her pouch is. Last night we took her pump out of the pouch and she felt the tubing was too short to tuck under her pillow.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son uses short tubing and puts the sites on the upper part of his butt.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In my experience a pump "tucked" under a pillow will end up down around the knees by morning.:p Did someone tell you that the pump had to be tucked in for the night? It's a personal preference, but imho there is no reason that the pump has to be anywhere in particular on the bed, especially if doing so ends up making the wearer/pumper feel restricted.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Personally, I let my pump 'float' around my bed. Sometimes I end up lying on it or sometimes I wake up and it's dangling over the side, but it's never been a problem. I'm most comfortable that way. Others prefer to keep the pump in a pouch at night. I have heard of people tucking it under the pillow or even (with long tubing) putting it on the floor beside the bed, but I have absolutely no idea how that would work. I toss and turn a decent amount and I know that it wouldn't work out for me.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When I ordered our supplies last week, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that Medtronic has started carrying two additional tubing lengths.:D We got the middle size - because we wanted to start trying arm sites, but we discovered on our first try that longer cording was better.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

you can do a thigh site too. just place the tubing inder the panties rather than ontop so bthroom breaks are not an isue. some do love handles just make sure to slightly stretch the skin because I find that if not stretched at insertion that once they bend over and stretch the site came come lose.

I would call and get a smaple of the longer tubing so that you can try that arm sites.

10. show2tj

show2tj Approved members

pumping

Sebastian really liked using his arm. Perhaps over the weekend you could just clip the pump onto her collar? Sebastian has been on pump 6 mo. Had check up yesterday -- A1C of 7! Lots of work, but worth it?! Keep up the good work -- you guys will figure it out.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd is younger, but she is finally big enough to use a 'sports bra' type, we had MIL sew a pocket into the back, between the shoulder blades and put the pump there.

12. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

When K started pumping, we always used tummy sites. Then after she tried the bum/back, she won't use the tummy again...unless I insist - so the upper bum gets a rest. She feels more discomfort when she can see the site on her tummy. She's a very skinny child and we do find enough space in the back. Have never tried thighs nor arms as she barely has any fat there.

13. Mommy For Life

Thanks for the replies. I changed DD's site location....still the tummy. She said it was still sore. I told her not to be discouraged and that maybe using a different infusion set or a different area of her body ie bum, hip, or thigh might work better. She is super brave...both sets today and yesterday she put in herself...that's huge right?? I told her she could let the pump "float" around her bed. Thanks Emma! I told DD that's what you do! She felt better not wearing her pouch to bed. I did place some IV3000 over the site so she would feel confident nothing would pop out. So far her numbers are good, but we are only 24hrs + into pumping. Keeping it positive, but aware that there will be bumps along the way. It was nice to take her out for a little treat today and watch her test and bolus. We've come a long way in 6 months....it isn't easy, but it is so much better than day 1 post dx! :rolleyes:

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter doesn't like the tummy sites but said arms are ok. Bum is best. You might want to try Hypafix to secure the site. IV 3000 is close to worthless for us. Hypafix sticks well, especially in water, and then it peels off painlessly. We don't secure the infusion site, though. The only times we've had problems is when the tubing catches on the kitchen cupboards. We clip the pump to the back of her pj pants at night, but the reason for that it to prevent it from losing contact with the CGM sensor. If her body gets between the pump and the transmitter, it's an extra awakening that neither of us want.

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We only tried tummy sites a couple of times on my son, but he found it very uncomfortable, too. We only do butt/hip area for now..but hope to get back to the tummy once he gains a little more padding there! Once some time passes, I am sure wearing the pump will feel less conspicuous to your daughter and she will all but forget that it is there. I hope that the flexibility and control you both gain will outweigh the inconveniences that come in the beginning. The pump changed our lives soooo much for the better...hope it does for you, too.:cwds:

It is totally a personal preference. However, my son has tucked the pump under the pillow (with the 23" tubing) from day one, and I've only found it dangling twice in more than 2 years. Ironically, one of those two times was the other night...the tubing was wrapped around his leg twice and the pump was dangling over the side of the bed.:eek: He just tucks the pump on same side as his current site...he tosses and turns quite a bit...and the pump is (almost!) always still under his pillow in the AM.

16. Mommy For Life

Thanks! We changed her site yesterday....figured out a way to get the site on her arm. Immediately she said it felt much better! :D Whew! I honestly think the tummy was an issue because she is so lean. Not sure when she will give the bum a try or the hip...but doing the tummy route will have to wait for a bit. She slept with the pump out and about so to speak...at one check last night I found the pump under her back...ouch...but she hasn't complained of discomfort so I am grateful for that! :cwds:

17. polly

polly Approved members

Happy the transition is going better! It gets easier and after 7 months of pumping, we find it much easier than MDI. Noah also stated that the metal sites were uncomfortable and we changed to insets 30 which rarely bother him. We rotate belly, lower back, upper bum. Glad she is doing well!! :)