- advertisement -

standardized testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Feb 2, 2012.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi, We are new to standardized testing and I have a question and am looking for what others do... do you put in your 504 that you DD has to take test at a specific time of day (ie...morning vs. afternoon)? If you childs BS is 140 before lunch and the test is scheduled right after lunch, there is the obvious natural rise in BS. Do you make your child wait until BS is back in range and start later than the rest of the class? Do you request morning tests? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We, in 8th grade, treat standardized testing as we do all school tests and quizzes. She checks her bg before the test and writes the bg on the top of the paper. If she is < 80 or > 250 she has the option to defer testing. She rarely does. When she's in high school and the standardized test scores begin to matter more we may alter this plan.

How old is you child?

For better or for worse, I have just accepted that my dd's performance on standardized tests may never be what it would be without D. Too many variables, too difficult to control and, since I have little faith to begin with, in the value of such tests ... well, I just don't let it worry me too much ( but ask me again when her choice of University is on the line... I may feel differently :eek:)

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

For standardized testing we have them take her bg right as they start if her bg is out of range she's not to take the test.

4. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

My dd is a Freshman and we have a special 504 just for standardized testing. What they do in her school is that they put her in a special room with the kids that have extended time. If she has a diabetes issue, she tells the monitor and he will stop the time for her until she is feeling better.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I am older, but I generally don't believe in deferring tests depending on my BG. When I am in the workplace (or academia, or whatever I do later on), my BG will fluctuate and I will have to work regardless. So I generally think "if my BG was like this, would I be off work sick?" for BGs around 50-400, I wouldn't be, so I sit tests at that level. If I'm below 50 or above 400, I might postpone a test because that kind of number is so rare for me that to sit a test based on it would misrepresent my ability. Sitting a test at 250 is not misrepresentative of my ability, because I often am 250. That is just a fact.

However, I think I perform best between 100 and 180 so I try to be around that level. If I manage D incredibly intensively in the few hours before a test, I can often manage it.

ETA: Now I'm in university and have 3 hour exams, I have been asked that I should be allowed to have a break if I need to treat low BGs.

Additionally, during exams I have always been allowed to have access to sugar, my meter and my pump and CGMS, and to test and treat lows and highs as I need to. Just no extra time.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I was not concerned about the standardized testing in school as my son performed well and his sugar didn't fluctuate wildly anyway. It was elementary school after all. He attended a parochial school who didn't need to publicize the results.

I did set up accommodations in high school that he be allowed to defer or retake a test if out of range, but he never used it for high school.

I setup accommodations with the College board and he was in a separate room for a couple of tests (AP and the SAT subject tests). For the ACT, he had no accommodations.

My son decided he didn't need that much accommodation as arranged with the college board and just wants to be able to test and treat during a test, but he would lose time if he did so.

After about 7 of the college entrance/ap tests, he has a problem in only one and that was based on bad communication.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have that she is supposed to test prior to a standardized test. However, take into consideration if she has just eaten (ie. after lunch). If child's blood sugar is above 250, call parent, we will determine if the child is able to test.

The reason being is that most of our tests occur about 20 minutes after school starts. Of course, she has just eaten breakfast, so there will be a spike which means bg will be out of range. I know my child, and in these situations, she is perfectly capable of taking the test without her cognitive skills being impacted. However, if she is on the low side, I will definitely have her treat, wait and test again. My daughter will put up a stink, so what we have arranged is for her to test, bg noted, and if needed she will retest. There have been times when she has bombed the test, and others when she has actually scored better the first time around!

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

My son doesn't seem to think that his BG effects his test taking so all that we have in our 504 is that he can stop the test if needed, for any reason, and restart.

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughters 504 has that she needs to test an hour (maybe it's a half hour I don't have it in front of me) before the test. That gives her time to correct if she's way out of range. If she's still off then she can deffer.

She's a sophomore and so far its never been an issue. She had a problem last week with a bad pod that sent her up over 400, but luckily it was the first day of the new semester so there were no tests or in class assignments. Knock on wood, so far all of our in class diabetes problems have ended up at times when she's been able to fix them without interfering with instruction time.