- advertisement -

standardized testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Oct 8, 2010.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I feel stupid on one hand, and somewhat free on another....my son is taking the PSAT this weekend and he is taking it at a private school (we homeschool). No one at this school knows my son in any way, we chose this school as we liked the testing site better than the local public school (smaller, more quiet, etc).

I signed him up and have had multiple emails with the principal and never once mentioned diabetes. It's kind of cool to me that I don't think of that first anymore!! But duh, I should probably let them know!

I got an email outlining what they can and can't have and it specifically says no phones and no "electronic gadgets". I know the tester isn't a gadget and they are referring to ipods/games and such, but do I need to do anything special to have his stuff on hand? Do I just have a proctor hold onto it and ask for it or can he keep it with him?

Anyone has experience in SAT/PSAT/college testing have any thoughts, please share.

The email says they can have a drink and snacks, so I feel good there. I don't see him needing to inject during the test, but will let them know of the possibility. It is mostly his tester I want him to have easy access to.

I guess I should just leave my cell # with someone on site too, just in case as he can't have his own phone, they are very strict about that (and for good reason I think).

Thoughts?

2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I would definitely let them know he has T1D and that he will have his tester that he may use. Since they can have water/drinks and snacks you should be good to .go with that

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is a process to follow for accommodations for testing or injecting. Since you didn't ask for them, he has to follow the rules. He can eat and drink, but during the breaks or at least leave the room if not during a break. He won't be allowed to "make-up" the time lost if he did this.

I would imagine he cannot test during the test, but must wait to do so at the breaks.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I suspect this is true. I don't think they'll let him have the meter in the room with him. The PSAT is used for National Merit Scholarship determinations, so I think they have strict rules, similar to the SAT and ACT, about accommodations.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think this is probably true as well, I have a call in to the administrator, I had my dates wrong so I have another week to deal with this.

My son really should be fine during the test time frame, but I'd like to get the rules known (to him) ahead of time.

This is kind of his practice year anyway (he's a sophomore) so even if he has to leave, there won't be huge ramifications, he can take it again next year.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Yeah...Sarah's link is a good one.

Pretty sure if he leaves the testing room to test, he will not be permitted back in.

My son has chosen NOT to seek testing accommodations. He has his meter and glucose in his pocket. I've instructed him to leave the room immediately if he feels the need. Rather a voided test than time wasted seeking permission. He's taken the PSAT three times and the SAT and ACT once each, with no problems. He eats a lowish carb breakfast the day of the test so he'll have minimum active insulin during the test (he tends to lows).

Do bear in mind, as Sarah's link states...official accommodations take quite a while.

8. alismom

alismom Approved members

This is the college board policy. Applications for any accommodations must be made formally well in advance. Having a 504 in place ahead of time will help. We just finished the application process for Allison, and I'm interested to see how long before we get a response.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is going to be our approach as well, he's only a sophomore so it doesn't count anyway, just testing practice mostly. We signed up at the last moment so didn't have time to do anything formal one way or the other.

I'm not worried, honestly, he's generally stable at the time of the test (9-12am) and I trust his judgment. The school is familiar with Type 1 and don't seem concerned either (told him he could have it IN the room, but not at his desk).

Next time I'll be more prepared!

10. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

My dd is taking the PSAT this year for just that reason -- we homeschool, and have no connection to the guidance counselor heading the testing, so we want dd to find out what taking the PSAT is like as a diabetic well before her junior year. She is taking it at a private school without accommodations. If we have a problem for whatever reason, next year we'll do it through the school system with accommodations -- but I'd rather not go that route!

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is that because you think the accommodations would be difficult to set in place? Or because you think they should test like everyone else? Or ...?

Just curious. :cwds:

12. WiscoJim

WiscoJim Approved members

Just have your son be honest with the proctor - before the test have him walk up and explain that he has diabetes, and that this is his blood checker. I had no problems - and besides its only the PSAT.

13. joan

joan Approved members

My son is also taking the SAT tomorrow am without accommodations in a school that is not his home school. This will be the 3rd SAT and he has taken and the ACT"S. 2 x's. He says d is a non issue because there are a lot of breaks for him to test and treat himself. I tell him to put some tabs in his pocket in case he is low during the test but he has never needed to take them. He never qualified for a national merit scholar but I don't think that was because of d. He take a bag with tabs, juice and his meter and I think he leaves it on the floor of the room. Good luck to your son.

14. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex did his PSAT w/o accomodations. He had to leave early to go change his pump site! ooooops! So that score was not good. But we immediately looked into what to do to get accomodations for SATs and ACTs.