- advertisement -

Stable and Lowers BS - Celiac?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Manuel, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

Hi, I have been reading lots of post about celiac and BS, but I am confused.
    My son, 2.5 years, has been dx with diabetes 4 months ago. About 2 weeks ago we have our first blood work and A1C, were we tested him for celiac too. The results were negative.

The last 3 days his BS is always between 70 and 100 without spikes or lows. He usually have a big spike at breakfast (he eats bread with cheese every morning), and in the last 3 days is just flat. And is flat all day. The strange thing is that he is not having lows either....I would think that if he is having absorption problems the usual insulin dose would be too much, but he is just always on that range.

He is not having any celiac symptom, his growth is normal, he is not constipated or with diarrhea, he is not complaining about stomach pain. In his last blood work he had hi cholesterol, hi proteins and hi calcium....all signs that he is having a good absorption, and our endo said that it is normal that those are high after a recent diabetes dx.

So I am very confused. What could be happening?

Thanks for your help!

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

It sounds like you are having a beautiful honeymoon! My toddler did not honeymoon, so this sounds totally foreign to me. If I were you, I wouldn't be looking for a problem here. :)

The mal-absorptive effects that some T1/celiac parents see in their kids' blood sugars are usually stubborn lows that do not respond to treatment. (I have to note here that some of my daughter's doctors do not even agree that this is a "thing," but many parents describe these un-treatable lows as a first symptom of celiac in T1 kids.) It sounds like your child is not having lows, much less lows that don't respond to fast carbs.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

First, his body is finally getting back on track after diagnosis. Second, it's called the honeymoon period. Here is a good explanation:
    http://www.joslin.org/info/will_diabetes_go_away.html
    My first daughter was honeymooning for about 1.5 years, my second daughter about a year. Some have no honeymoon, some have a few weeks or months. It all depends on the body.

I wouldn't even bring Celiac onto your radar since he tested negative.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I have some very important advice for you, please listen carefully:

Just. Enjoy. It!!!! ;)

5. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

Now has become even weird. At breakfast he is flat between 80 and 100, with the usual dose of insulin and eating the same. But now, at around 12pm the BS start rising without any carbs...today started to rise without carbs from 90 to 230 in 1 hour.
    I'm gonna go crazy!!!! Now I'm just lost. If it is the honeymoon is a strange one!....and it was easier to manage without the honeymoon.
    Now seems random

6. Snowflake

Is your son on a pump or shots? If a pump, this no-carb spike could be addressed with a tweak to the basal setting.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Welcome to the world of diabetes roulette. Each day is a new spin of the wheel and you never know where the ball will land.

What is your insulin regimen? Shots or pump? Check with your team, adjustments probably need to be made.

8. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

He is on shots, and next month will start with the omnipod. It is weird because he is flat in the morning, without the breakfast spike and then starts rising and sounds like the basal needs has change....but not for the morning?. Well, I think I will not make any change yet and see what happen in the next two days. If this 12pm rise continue the next days I will increase the morning basal.

He is using 3U Levemir at 8am, 1U Levemir at 5pm and between 0.5 and 1 of novorapid for meal bolus.

But this is hard, we were doing it fine, our first A1C was 7.0 and he was 70% of the time on range (70-180) after struggling all days to understand doses, time for basal shots, boluses and snacks for lows without rebounds. And now it seems we have to start all over again. :(

Thanks for your help!

9. Snowflake

I hope that we've put your mind to rest that you don't need to worry about celiac! Truly, these numbers sound beautiful for a recently diagnosed toddler. As spikes go in a T1 toddler, 230 is awesome. At that age, my daughter had regular excursions into the mid-300s, and any adjustment by even .5 unit of Lantus would cause subsequent lows.

You'll find that he pump will give you much more fine-grained control of the basal. If you're observing highs for just a few hours a day, you'll be able to set unique basal segments to address them.

I know that T1d can make you pull your hair out asking "why?" but it really sounds like you are doing a fantastic job!

10. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

Thanks Snowflake. I think you are right this looks like some kind of honeymoon. He is all day stable in 70-100, and now it seems he is having some kind of dawn effect at 3AM every night. After a 0.5U correction he is back in 70-100 range.
    From now I took out of my head celiac, but only from now. I think I will be worry all my life, for him and for our new born (5 months)...I hope she will be more lucky than his brother. Autoinmune conditions are all around in my wife family (she has diabetes, her sister is celiac and her mother has thyroids)....so it seems my kids will need a lot of luck to avoid any other of thouse conditions.

Thanks to all for you help! This forum is really the best source for advise!!