- advertisement -

Sports

Discussion in 'Teens' started by munchkingirl, Dec 1, 2005.

1. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

I just have a curiosity question... kinda something... I guess to just get conversation moving.

;) Does anyone actively play sports or have a physical activity they enjoy and like to do? And how do you handle that blood sugars and insulin and stuff?

* I'll start and say that I do not, I have not ever been in any organized type of physical activity. I've been homeschooled forever -except the last 2 years - and though I have the option of doing sports at the local highschool - I just never have. However, I do like those other "seasonal" sports like- swimming, tubing, biking, roller-blading, sledding, and snowboarding. I hope someday to learn to rockclimb and scuba dive, both of those would be a lot of fun, I think.

*And as for handling the bs's ...well... I will say that I haven't taken care of my diabetes in the past at all. I tried to ignore it for a long time, but that got me in the hospital somwhere aroung 4 or 5 times near dead... I figured it was time to stop that. Now, my a1c is still very high (12.1) but that is down a lot too, and my blood sugars are improving and I'm set to start on an insulin pump within the next couple of weeks! :D

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

I'm not really in any sports really either, I do a lot of swimming during the summer and lots of other summerish activities. During those times, I check before hand and eat if needed, take insulin if needed. Then I disconnect from my pump, I find that I don't need the insulin during physical activity.

I always carry like a pack of crackers or a juice box with me, or make sure that there will be something avalible if I need it. :)

3. researcher2005

researcher2005 New Member

sports were my life

I have been playing sports since before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I played basketball and ran track for my middle school and my high school. I coached for a couple of years after that. I still play pick - up ball on Sundays and Tuesdays with a bunch of guys and coaches from my town. We have a lot of fun and they all help keep watch on my diabetes. Sometimes, my sugar drops and I don't realize it, but my former coach knows just by my shot. It's actually quite funny. Anyway, I take my pump off while I am playing and check my sugar after every "game" (we play to 20 by 1's). It's never really bothered me and has actually improved my game. Hope this helps.

Amanda, age 24
    diagnosed age 11
    pumping for 12 years

4. kitty

kitty Approved members

Because I have to eat several small meals throughout the day becuase of bad hypoglycemia, I always take stuff like apples, Cheez-Its, sandwiches, ect. whenever I got to workout or play sports.

I am in a wheelchair, so I play wheelchair tennis and I also race around the playground track with my friend, Alan often. These sports are really fun!! Both of these exercises take a lot out of you, so I always eat a tiny bit before I exercise, as well as check my blood sugar. This way, my blood sugar won't dip so low that it makes me sick.

Jessie:)

5. i play paintball13

i play paintball13 New Member

i surf and play paintball

6. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Nice! I play paintpall too! When I can, that is. I'm in college AND out of work right now - so it kinda gets to be an expensive sport before too long. heehee! Yeah, I love it, though. I wish i surfed. No surfing around my house. Sadly. Oh wells. Yeah, I get to snowboard, though - when there is money to be had, that is. ANywho, yeah. Cool deal.

7. Rob

Rob Approved members

I love playing paintball, I was out of it for a while due to lack of $$$ but I'm getting back into it, it really is expensive, thousands in gear, plus travling expenses for tournments and stuff. totally worth it tho.

I also have a fairley physically demanding job, both of which I handle about the same, carry lots of extra sweet food, and check your blood alot.

I usually either cut insulin back, or eat foot without taking insulin for it, or atleast a greatley reduced amount for food, otherwise a low is almost gaurenteed.

8. Diabetic_Lance

Diabetic_Lance Approved members

I used to play Football and Wrestle...but the coaches didn't like having the resonablity of a diabetic on the feild/mat... so now I just weightlift..:D
    Later.

9. Diabetic_Girly7

Diabetic_Girly7 Approved members

Ice Skater

I am a major Ice Skater i LOVE ICE SKATING its soo much fun im on the pump too its mad my diabetes so much easier i am also homeschooled so thats cool
    Right me back please!!!
    ~*Jessica*~

10. tennis girl

tennis girl Approved members

hey

hey
    i play lawn tennis.
    i love to play it.
    bye

11. Steeler Fan

Steeler Fan Approved members

I play almost anything. I love Baseball and Indoor Soccer. I also play basketball and gym and recess whenever my friends are.

In the winter I love to sled and snowboard,but make sure that if you play outside in the cold you test before you go out because cold weather can really make you go low if your out for a long time.:)

12. butterflygal291

butterflygal291 Approved members

i'm on the swim team at school. my coach was also my biology teacher so he knew i was diabetic and knew about it too. i'm pretty good at telling if my sugar is high or low so i just get out of the pool and go check it. it did drop real fast though one day down to 24! I just told the coach my sugar was low and sat out till it went down. I did have a problem for a while though when it actually made my sugar go up! I disconnect my pump while I swim and all my friends know about it, so i'm good.:) I also keep snacks around just in case.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  13. live.love.laugh001

live.love.laugh001 New Member

hey!
    i have been diabetic for 13 yrs now and i consider myself pretty athletic. mainly i play hockey iv been playing it for about 11 yrs and diabetes hasn't got in the way. for my bs levels to stay at normal range i usually drop my insulin one unit becuase of the increased activity, but other than that its great!

14. firefly29

firefly29 Approved members

i do figure skating but I'm still trying to adjust so I don't go low during my longer practices