- advertisement -

sports activities of our teens

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by wilf, Dec 14, 2012.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone's teens are up to sports-wise. We have found that while there are dosing challenges associated with sports, the benefits of sports certainly make it worthwhile.

After years where she worked her way through various sports activities my daughter seems to have settled on cross-country and distance running for her main activity. She's been running cross-country with her best friend since Grade 9, and does pretty well with that. This year she tried longer distances for the first time, doing a 10 mile (16 km) race in the summer and a 13 mile (21 km) race in the fall. Next one she's working towards is a 25 km valley run next spring.

I ran with her on the 16 km run, as I felt she should have some company for this first longer distance race and some help with D management. The D management ended up being easy, but the race was humbling as it became clear after a few miles that she was stronger and faster than me.. :eek:

So I'm working on getting in better shape so I can give her a run for her money in the 25 km run next spring. :D

I'd love to hear others' stories, so please post! :cwds:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My kiddo has never been sporty. When she was about 5 we put her in soccer and she cried because they hit the ball into her legs :rolleyes:.

But she got involved in Athletic Training which she just loves. Its a way for her to be involved without playing. It's been wonderful for her and she's thinking about making it a career.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

What does Athletic Training involve - sounds interesting. :)

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

They do basic sports medicine. So icing, wrapping, stretching. They also do water at football. She's become good at ambulance direction, she's the one sent out to the street to guide them to the right area.

She works for the Trainer who is a school employee. There are also three college interns and then two more high school students. They go to all football practices and games since they have the most injuries. The other sports they take turns covering. After school every day during football and then 3 days a week minimum the rest of the year. She gets community service hours for the time she puts in.

She loves it. The first few weeks of football practice take a lot of adjusting for lows since she's running all over the place doing things but she evens out mostly after that.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son is a football player and had an awesome season, he was defensive Captain of his team, and a true leader for all of them. He led his team in tackles, ending the season as #1 in tackles. Pretty cool. This is his Senior year, so it's been very bittersweet for all of us.

He was named to the All State team and was a captain of that and a defensive starter. All State game is fascinating, they had exactly an hour and a half to practice, so this was a coach he didn't know, and players he'd never been on the field with other than as opponents! He got lots of great tackles and one sack, it was really fun.

He got into an argument with his dad a week before the game and punched a wall (outside) that he THOUGHT was rotten...it wasn't. He ended up playing the game with a boxer's fracture in his hand, which I didn't find out until this Tuesday when he let me have it xrayed! He's pretty proud of being that radical.

From a diabetes perspective, it was really very smooth this year (his 3rd season playing with diabetes). He did have 2 games where he went low enough to have to ask someone to go in for him, but that lasted maybe 5 minutes and he was back out again. We had a GREAT trainer who kept skittles in his pocket and bought his own meter, that really touched me when I found that out. He's been fighting highs since football ended, and we're having to tweak basal after a pretty steady season.

He had some strong confrontations with his coach and showed his own strength, long story there but very cool to see your son mature and grow into a man able to stand up for what he believes in.

Now that football is done, college is his next focus but he's still lifting weights and running quite a bit. He's STRONG and wide and wants to stay that wide.

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

As my "nickname" suggests - we are a skiing family - my son ( diabetic) is an "all mountain" skier - into the big powder runs, cliff jumping etc etc . He is an awesome athlete and great kid - handles his diabetes and skiing by nibbling on fruit leather on the lifts - only problem we have had was ripping out an insertion and not having a backup with us ( luckily his activity kept things in check for those couple of hours).
    Middle daughter ( not diabetic ) retired last year from competitive ski racing - she was skiing at a national level - was on track to make National team until a brutal accident where she shattered her tibia and blew her kneee. After nearly two years, she returned to racing, accomplished many goals ( including being chosen to be a guest at the 2010 Olympics as a future star of ski racing) then retired to attend university.
    Youngest daughter (diabetic) is just wrapping up her career as a competitive ice dancer - she is off to university next year.
    The best advice we got was to keep our kids busy - especially the girls. They have had the opportunity to go to interesting places, have met wonderful people and have developed so many life skills that will help them along in life.

7. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter who is a freshman used to play competitive soccer but now in high school just finished cross country-she was the second fastest freshman girl on a team of 40+ girls. She is now gearing up for track season.

Very proud mom!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well as of November I'm actually no longer a teenager. :eek: But I'll answer anyway. ;)

Recently I've been running on the treadmill at the gym, rather than outside, because it's very icy here at the moment. Currently doing 5-10km runs every other day, and rowing 2-3km on the stationary rowing machine whilst I'm there.

Hoping that by the time I'm back on the roads I'll be able to do 15km on the treadmill, and hopefully that will mean I can do 10km of road running (I find the treadmill a lot easier, guessing because there's no wind resistance). I'd like to enter some races once I can do it comfortably, and keep working up to longer distances. :)

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son runs cross country and plays basketball. In the past, he has played soccer and baseball. All sports have unique challenges and are managed just a little differently. I think his BG numbers were the best during cross country. Maybe that was because it took more effort to be in top condition and he ate better during that sport.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've never been to sporty... but I lead the songs at our children's programs at church (think 100+ kids singing and doing motions not unlike an aerobics video) I'm often running down to the hospitality room to get some cake, dancing really brings my bg down! My best friend does it with me (she's d too) so were often low together!

I'll be going off to college next year too, not sure what I'll be doing then... I might start some club sports (I'm thinking tennis, I played in 11th grade but my sister hated it so when the lessons were over I didn't have anyone to play with...)

Does anybody know where they (or I guess their child) is going to school yet? I've just decided on Indiana University of Pennsylvania =D

11. LJM

LJM Approved members

DS is on the JV baseball team as a third baseman and pitcher. Exercise is a huge help in managing his numbers; although we do have probably too many lows because of the changing nature of his practices (and how many foul poles they have to run). Baseball is generally pretty easy to handle in terms of the diabetes---the only thing in danger is his pump and losing a site here and there.

He is not very good about eating or running temp basals:(

In the summer he also is out in the surf quite a bit. In the first fews years after diagnosis he could disconnect without consequence. Now he has to plan to cover some basal when he disconnects and goes in the water.

Consistent exercise is a very big help in maintaining his glucose control. The only sport where it was more of a problem was basketball (adrenaline).

12. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly is rowing on the crew team. This is her first team sport and she walked on the varsity team with no experience since rowing is a fairly uncommon sport in high school. She's managing the insulin regime well. Some of the workouts make her go high and some low, so she's figured out what to do when. She's lifting weights for the first time (two sessions required/week) and that has been interesting for her. Since dx, she's mainly been running on the treadmill 5 times a week. Her commitment to regular exercise has been the silver lining in all this and she has come to love the way she feels and the way the insulin works better in her system as a result.

13. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We've discovered this year Carson is a runner. He ran his first half marathon in September and has triathlons on his mind now. He got his first road bike this fall and rode everywhere until it got cold. He's going to start swimming in January and I imagine he will enter his first sprint triathlon this summer! He was in football and basketball and those just weren't his thing.

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

My Cocopuff plays sports all three seasons and participates in summer sports as well - we are talking Soccer, Basketball, and Softball. Plus, when she doesn't have practice, she usually runs every day.

This is why she is on Lantus as well as pumping. Our district does not allow kids to play with pumps attached, so those 2 hours disconnects where causing havoc with her blood sugar.

Now I would like to know who else experiences extreme highs with competitive sports?

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son just earned his black belt in karate. Karate is his main sport. He does cc running for his school and also is on the swim team. Karate is our hardest to control diabetes wise. He gets wicked adrenaline highs especially with sparring. I still haven't figured out how to deal with it!

16. alismom

alismom Approved members

Allison has done competitive gymnastics, varsity diving, varsity track and varsity cheer. She has been recruited by colleges for cheer!!!!