- advertisement -

Spikes??? Help

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Gilliansmom, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

How do you know if it's a meal spike, or a fat spike, or what? I'm starting to feel so overwhelmed, and so is my dd! She's at the 16 month mark and will be 13 in October, so puberty is definitely playing a role. How do I help her and how do we get better at bolusing so she's not running high at night? Also, should I start checking her in the middle of the night? Help! She wants to snack on popcorn at night, but she's been in the 300's! :confused:

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When does she come back into range? You have three things to adjust in the amount insulin you give her: corrections, meal times and the Levemir.

If high right before meals and during the middle of the night, she may need more Levemir.
    If the corrections don't bring her down, more insulin for a correction may be needed.
    If she goes higher after a meal, more meal time insulin is needed.

I would test in the middle of the night, just to see what is happening.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Is she getting her Levemir once or twice a day? What is the dosage?

And what are her carb ratios?

Finally, when are you seeing highs? ONly at night or all the time?

4. Gilliansmom

She is getting Levimir, 15 units, at night. Her I:C ratios are now 1:15 for dinner and 1:20 for all other meals, snacks. We lowered her correction to 70 and she seems to be better, but I think we have to work on her eating habits. She is still a grazer and loves to snack at night, popcorn, pirate booty, and is not a big meal eater. She seems to be running high early evenings so i think we aren't bolusing enough for what she's eating. We also have to work on better food choices and drinking more water...oye!

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

When exactly is she getting the Levemir?

My guess is most of your problems have to do with the single Levemir injection not lasting 24 hours. That means that for quite a few hours in the evening she has no basal insulin working - so of course she's going high.

There's 2 ways to deal with this - you can split the Levemir so she's getting half morning and half night, or you can give much bigger boluses at supper time (using a carb ratio of between 1:5 to 1:10, depending on how much she eats).

6. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Sorry to sneak in ..but what is pirate booty?

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good question - some sort of tasty snack?!

8. Gilliansmom

Pirate booty is a snack in the more organic aisle of the supermarket, a bit like cheese doodles, but not as unhealthy. lol!

9. Gilliansmom

She can do her levimir any time between 9:30 and 11:30 at night, depending on what time she's going to sleep, and how hungry she is. Summer time schedule is a bit more subject to change than when she's in school. She has gotten better with knowing to bolus before a night time snack now, we used to just do the levimir and let her snack, now she boluses for it. She seems to be a bit better now that we've changed the #'s. I'm going to try to stick to giving her levimir at the same time each night and see how that goes, but after we get back from Florida next week. Thanks everyone. Go get some Pirate Booty! The kids love it! ;)

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

If she's getting the Levemir at night and also bolusing a night-time snack, then you need to be testing overnight.