- advertisement -

Spikes from Tomatoes????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by iluvmhp, May 19, 2009.

1. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Ok, this sounds crazy and is probably a YDMV thing, but I swear fresh tomatoes are spiking my dd like CRAZY. I am talking a 117 g serving s(3 slices) spiking her too 300. On more than one occasion. Really really crazy. I have "tested" this several times. We dosed for them by weight the last time and she still spiked.

Is there anyone who has this problem??? Anyone??? I hate to keep giving them to her b/c it is insane, but the are awesome this time of year and she loves them. I hate to not give her a great food, because I cant figure out the spike.

Help please!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I don't dose for tomatoes, because I never know how many she is actually going to eat, but never has she gone up much even with a handfuls.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Weird... I can eat tomato stuff by the can and don't get any problems. I don't like fresh tomatoes though, so I haven't tried that. YDMV I guess.

4. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

It is weird though isnt it. I kept thinking, no it cant be tomatoes. But 4 times now she has spiked into the three hundres with fresh tomatoes. Doesnt do it with tomato sauce. It makes no sense!!!!

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Is this when she eats just tomatoes???

6. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

She usually has something else with the meal, but we have varied it and actually given her nothing else with carbs in it 3 times and she still spiked. So weird. I guess her body thinks they really are some carb laden really juicy fruit!!!

They are "meatier" this time of year, so I dont know if that is what seems to be doing it. Really, really strange. She is a big tomato fan (so am I).

7. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

Calorie King has .6g per thin slice

8. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

Tomatoes are actually a fruit with a good deal of sugar in them depending on the type. Tomatoes that are long term cooked like with sauce removes alot of the natural sugar.

9. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Chris's BG is high every time he has pizza - maybe it is the tomato sauce?

10. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I agree with this 100% it is a fruit with a lot of sugar, but every book shows very little carbs. Like 5 carbs per 100 grams.

We have no problem with the cooked sauces. (knock on wood).

So DH cut up another tomato with dinner tonight. Gave her almost 3 times the suggested dose for her i:c ratio(based on serving). She is at 325 already! It is crazy. It is an instant spike too. Hits real fast. I upped her basal and will begin the fight to bring it down.

Ps - I almost cried when I saw him put the tomato on the table.

11. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

maybe the carb counts for fresh tomatoes used the horrible, hard, no flavor (and probably no sugar) grocery store variety to analyze. There is probably a great deal more sugar in a good, properly ripened fresh tomato (either home grown, roadside stand, hydroponic or tomatoes-on-the-vine) that you are probably eating. I'm assuming since you love tomatoes, you are getting the good stuff.

Maybe it would be like comparing the carb count in any other un-ripened fruite to a ripened one???

I would just start counting a lot more carbs for them, and find the "right" number through trial and error.

12. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Exactly!! They are farmer's market tomatoes. I do think they are so good because they have so much natural sugar! We will keep raising the carb count to get it right. Thanks for the input!

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It must be time for reading glasses :rolleyes: I keep seeing this thread and reading, "Spikes from Tornados" to which I think, "well, yeah, that would stress her out a bit":rolleyes: Clearly...losing my mind :eek: