- advertisement -

Spending the Night

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Mgirod, May 18, 2014.

1. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

Hi,
    I'm 14 and was just recently diagnosed 4-28-14 and I have been invited to multiple sleepovers but my parents won't let me. They are always saying how independent I already am and blah blah blah, but they don't trust me enough to be able to stay over someone else's house! Any ideas on how I can make them understand that even if something does happen I can call them or something? I've been counting my own carbs and drawing my own insulin since the day I was diagnosed so I already know what to do. I have pictures of my sliding charts and stuff on my phone so I won't be guessing. HELP!

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 13. Can you make a deal to text your parents with your numbers while you're at your friends? This is what my daughter and I have always done. She just texts me what she's at and she will also set the alarm on her phone to get up and test at 2 and send me that number.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You sound very responsible with your management, so congratulations on that. My daughter is now 15 and for the past several years when she has done sleepovers she also texts her numbers, as KatieSue described above.

One approach you may want to try is to ask your parents Specifically what their concerns are. Then you can address each concern and put their minds at ease.

Also remember that you have only been diagnosed less than a month and your parents are still adjusting to this new life and their upmost concern is keeping you safe. Sometimes, especially in the begining, kids adjust faster than parents do. Just something to keep in mind as you deal with them.

Good luck.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Their fears are not likely related to your ability to handle things while you're awake but what happens or could happen while you're sleeping, as well as how much your insulin needs may be changing still a month in. A sleep-over can also bring unpredictable effects on how BGs play at night.

Are your friends' parents willing to be awakened if you don't text your parents your BGs in the night since teens are notoriously heavy-sleepers plus a symptom of low BG is sleepiness? Are they aware of the risk of lows and how to treat them and/or willing to be trained? That's what I would want to know.