advertisement

Sound off: Refusing consent for your school nurse to call the doctor, trust is earned

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by siren, Mar 1, 2011.

1. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

same here. she always calls me, has even asked me about various diabetes stuff just to educate herself. Even better it's hard to get ahold of anyone at his neurologist or endo, which sucks for us, but in this situation works well lol.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Our endo states in Carson's health care plan for school that the school is to contact the parent with any questions. Not the endo. (The endo knows that they cannot keep up with day to day changes in insulin needs.)

3. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

Interesting topic. We have been fortunate to work with a wonderful school Nurse for the past five years. Our state requires that the school forms are filled out and signed by the Endo prior to the start of the school year or upon diagnosis. It then lays out in detail what they are to do and the margin for which the nurse is allowed to adjust insulin rates. She has never done so without contacting me first and would not contact our Endo unless she was unable to get in touch with one of us.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's late, and I haven't had much beer, but I'm also a bit confused.

If you want some intelligent feedback you need to provide a bit more of an intro with some context before dropping this mega-post in our laps.

Like I said, not enough beer.. :cwds:

5. siren

siren Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions all around. i edited to add the context and hope this helps but if you need more let me know. Its getting late, need an aspirin, hope this improves things. Good night.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thank you. Very helpful in understanding the context.

7. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

I second that AMEN! We're currently in litigation also

8. redgeraniums

redgeraniums New Member

Rogue Nurse Harassing the Endo

I had to revoke the "Authorization to Exchange Information" form at a VA school in 2005, for the same reason. My 2nd grader's School Nurse was "fine" with him in 1st grade, until he started on the Insulin Pump.

She did not want him to be on an insulin pump, so she really dug in her heels: she refused to accept the Physician's Orders, and harrassed the Ped Endo's office that the orders were "incomplete" or somehow confusing each time...the Physician sent 7 sets of Orders (which I was billed for)!! I had provided training DVDs, online tutorials, I trained her of course, I provided a one-on-one training session with a CDE who traveled quite a distance to meet her...all to no avail. The school would not allow my son to return to school, because the Nurse was not comfortable with his care, for many weeks!

My Ped. Endo informed me that they would have to drop my son as a patient if this nurse did not stop demanding so much of their time. So I went in to school and revoked the authorization.

I'm glad to be speaking of all of this in Past Tense!! School Nurses can make or break your child's school experience. I've met two of my closest friends because they were my son's school nurses in respective years. Anyone who's experienced a Rogue Nurse knows how hard that can be, though--think of Nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, if in doubt! :)

9. Karen Crown

Karen Crown New Member

Im so grateful to find this forum. I have 2 T1 children and am struggling with my 9 year olds nurse. Since kindergarten (now 3rd grade) we have repeatedly had to update my son's medical plan to add something, adjust something - all just to clarify or be very specific on how to handle one off scenarios. Finally, in 2nd grade the endo wrote that "mom can provide any other instructions" - part of the reason was because the nurse refuses to allow bolus extensions to be given (pump), even if given verbally or in writing from the mother. She STILL claims 2 years later that they can't allow bolus extensions - and they also refuse any other instructions from me, despite doctors statement.

Now, about 3 weeks ago I was pulled out of a meeting to call the clinic assistant urgently. My son's BG was over 300 and climbing. She asked what she should do as it was too close to lunch to correct him again, according to his SPECFIC plan. I gave her instructions, went back to my meeting. 45 minutes later I'm pulled from another meeting for an urgent call - so she could tell me that they will give him the correction now - because the nurse got involved and had to check with the doctor. So, while my son is pulled from his education, he's left to maintain the climbing high BG, now feeling ill, stomach upset, close to vomiting.... you all know... for 45 minutes!!!
    I asked to speak to the nurse with many many questions to only be repeatedly told that she is sorry but she had to protect her license!!!!
    I made my frustration clear as nicely as possible, noting that my child's well being is in the hands of this control freak! This is only one of many examples.
    As many times before,I once again offered the endo's office as a resource to educate her, this time in writing (email) copying her Director and the endo while stating clearly that by her continuing to disregard my instructions and continuing to refuse bolus extensions that my 9yr can do - she is, in my opinion, intentionally causing physical harm to my child. I requested she provide the exact verbage she needs on the form to finally end her license concerns, so that my son's care can become her primary concern.
    Shortly thereafter she set an appt with endo staff to "learn" about bolus extensions. The next day I recieve an email with a new med plan that removed the doctor's statement for mom to give instructions. I immediately called endo, and spoke with the diabetes educator who explained that the school said they can't allow the doctors statement giving ok for mom to give instructions!! Also, they explained that they don't want to set precedent (?????!!@!@) for other parents to do the same! The young, kind, helpful diabetes educator was trying to meet all their requests..... again, and this bully if a nurse dictated what she would allow on my son's form! (There HAS to be some kind of law broken here, even if just the violation or refusal of my parental rights!?). I explained to the dian educator that the school cannot dictate to a doctor or a parent as to what goes on my son's form! I'm just absolutely livid! As a single mom of three, 2 being T1D, this added garbage from an ego maniacal nurse is the last thing our family needs. After 4 years of being ignored, disregarded and disrespected while shamefully allowing this woman to place her license above my son's health, I'm going to note fight like never before. If it doesn't help my son, then maybe someone's. And if she can't "get it", then perhaps her precious license will discover her greatest fear.

I've seen some input here about sites calling the parents aggressive, difficult, impossible etc.. But I've been patient for 4 years! I've bent over backwards and so has his doctor. Enough is enough. I've talked to others in this district and learned of a 4th grader that falsely calibrated his cgm so it wouldn't read high.... Thank God aT1D office asst was able to inject at a critical moment to discover this before he ended up dead or in a coma. He did this because, like my son, he'd be pulled out if BG was out of range - never mind they just had cupcake 15 minutes earlier!. They would actually not allow him to move, get a wheelchair and destroy this child's school experience with no regard for him or to even learn how to evaluate his BG properly.

I'd love any advice to help me address this situation as factually and as unemotionaly as possible in order to find resolution without taking on a continued ego or legal battle. All the best to each of you - thanks for the venting opportunity..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I’d call the ADA and ask to speak with their legal team.

I am not a litigious person by nature. I believe in polite, open, and direct communication and a mutually respectful teamwork approach. Unfortunately it is simply not possible to work with some people, and eventually a line is crossed. I had some horrifically unpleasant experiences several years ago with my daughter’s school nurse which then resulted in even more disastrous interchanges with CPS and the school district (the details of which I prefer not to get into because the memories are too unpleasant). There comes a time when, like it or not, the “big guns” need to be pulled out. It looks like that time has come for you.

My thoughts are with you and I wish you all the best!

Karen Crown likes this.