advertisement

Son still high after adjustments to pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HRead, Nov 29, 2018.

1. HRead

HRead New Member

Hey all, my son is 8 and has been on the Omnipod for just over a year now. Since his honey moon period ended his levels have been hard to manage. His doctor did an aggressive adjustment to his basal rates on his pdm a few months ago but we are still getting higher than what we want numbers. He loves bread and all things breadish but no matter how much insulin he seems to get after breakfast (we will add an extra 5-10g in as per our nurses advice) to help with his highs he is still high at his next check. He can eat toast, cereal, pancakes etc it doesn’t matter, his BG will stay well above where it should be until long after lunch. We don’t have a lot of time in the morning to make much else and these are his favourite go-to breakfast items. And just fruit isn’t enough to keep him going until recess... any advice? We’ve tried extending his insulin a few times in the hopes that would help but it doesn’t. I’m getting really frustrated. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Beth @ CWD

Beth @ CWD Administrator

Are you pre-bolusing at all? That's been key for me in keeping my bg's from skyrocketing when I have a carb-heavy meal. You would have to play with it a bit but anywhere from 15-30 minutes might help a lot!

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

I agree that pre-bolusing will help, but if you are still seeing high numbers through the morning that continue on after lunch, you may have a couple of other issues that need to be addressed. First the I:C ratio for that morning meal may not be where it needs to be - adjust it a few points at a time and then see if the pattern changes over the next few days. As your son continues to move out of honeymoon, insulin requirements will continue to increase. It's good to get comfortable making adjustments as you see the need, with your nurse or doctor as needed, but then eventually on your own as you get more comfortable doing that. There may also be additional basal adjustments needed, but my preference is to only change one thing at a time unless there is an obvious pattern that suggests more than one change is needed.

It is frustrating, but if you see a pattern of high BG values that don't come down, then adjustments to insulin amounts are needed.

rgcainmd likes this.