- advertisement -

Son Should Get Coverage Back

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by lil'Man'sMom, Jul 4, 2010.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

during our open enrollment November 1st.

He is no longer a full-time student (part-time), is under the age of 26, works 2 part-time jobs and still lives at home.

According to BCBS Ma, after Sept 23/2010 per the health-care, bill he is eligible to go back on our policy but we have to wait until open enrollment in November. I still need to speak with DH human resources dept., to get all the details but am relieved that he will soon have insurance again.:)

Although it would have been nice that he was covered when he sprained his ankle and tore ligaments, 2 weeks ago playing basketball.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

NOMB (none of my business?) but does he have a pre-existing condition? If not, he should be able to get private insurance tomorrow, if he goes with a high deductible plan it could cost very little (I'm guessing under $200 a month? For our family of four with two old people in it we were under $500 a month) and then at least he would be covered for a major bill like a hospitalization? Just until November. . . . plus then once he's got that insurance, in November he can decide which he likes better. It may cost you more to put him on your plan than it would cost him to get his own.

Of course, if you've already been down that road, ignore me! :D

3. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

He had childhood simple partial seizures, he has been off the meds for a year seizure free. I am not sure what they would do with that.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We just went through the whole nine yards with insurance, moved off COBRA and got private insurance for the family and high risk pool insurance for Selah.

Probably TMI, but we were spending nearly 1300 per month for our family for COBRA. We moved to a high deductible (and accident) for the rest of us and a regular plan for Selah, and we're spending $750 a month.

I would just suggest (you know, in all the free time we all have :p) that you might want to look into other options. For the interim, you might be looking at a cost as low as $1000 until he can join back up with you, which is a lot but a whole heck of a lot less than the cost of a hospitalization -- all it takes is someone dropping a book on his head from the dorm and the ambulance comes and the MRI says everything is fine and he's stuck with a $10,000 bill to start his adult life with. :( And you may find it cheaper for him to stay with his own insurance than to be added back to yours.

I don't know if you've got a good high risk pool insurance there, it goes state by state, but ours covered Selah automatically, any of us that got rejected automatically qualified. We did have to have continuous coverage or a 6 month waiting period for the pre-existing, but if he's unlikely to have a hospitalization for seizures it probably would still be a great thing to look into, to cover anything else that comes up.

Best to you all, these are such tough waters to navigate.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

If he applied for insurance and was denied then you would know what they would do with that. If he applied for insurance and was accepted then you would also know what they would do with that.

Does this mean that he has not applied for insurance?

According to some highly dubious report recently released 126 million Americans have preexisting conditions. And since maybe 12 million are involuntarily uninsured it would seem that insurance companies provide insurance to people with pre-existing conditions all the time. That or some politician (Kathleen Sebelius?) is lying to us about the number of pre-existing conditions people have.