- advertisement -

Son getting distracted easily at school -

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sassy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Sassy

Sassy Approved members

But has anyone else noticed their child easily distracted or not paying attention in school? My son is 12 and normally is an A/B student, but just recently started to not be as attentive as usual and his grades are slipping. His teachers are also noticing that although he is looking at them and appear to be listening, he isn't retaining what is being taught. Even at home I see him easily distracted while doing chores. He has always been this way (he doesn't have ADD/ADHD but we are going to have him retested) so I'm just wondering what could be going on. I'm sure that if blood sugars are fluctuating this can certainly affect thinking and attention. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Puberty.
    Hormones.
    That 11-13 age range is murder on parents.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Must agree that it has more to do with being 12 than having D.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My non-D son just turned 13 and this has been the story of his life. He is intelligent and teachers will swear up and down that he is not listening, distracted, somewhere else but he has had good grades - up until this year in 8th grade where the workload and content is much more challenging and he can't get along on just his smarts. His grades are slipping. I hate to say boys will be boys but from everything I've read, this is quite normal in adolescents. I don't really worry about it but I do have to be on his case quite a bit about studying, focusing, getting things done. It's not just at school. Over the past year, he has taken on an I don't care attitude about everything. He is a competitive swimmer and has always been very eager about practice and worked hard. Now it's a battle just to get him to practice.

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

While you wait to be re-tested, you can check out a symptom checklist and on-line symptom checker such as this one and then bring it in to your doctor:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.html

It may be that as the school work gets tougher, he needs to focus more, study more. He seems very smart, so he may not used to having to put in much effort to get his A's and B's.

Persons with ADD and ADHD can hyper-focus and be excellent at school, jobs, sports, etc. when they are motivated. I was always motivated to get good grades and be a good student, a good employee, a good wife, Mom, etc. so I was not diagnosed with ADD until recently when I searched it out for myself. I wish I knew earlier as it explains so much about why I am the way I am. I would have made many different decisions for my life if I had been armed with that knowledge.

6. sheila1128

sheila1128 Approved members

My youngest son has ADHD & T1D. His two older brothers also have ADHD. We had great success with the older two with certain ADHD meds for the older two, but we could never figure out why they never seemed to consistently work for my youngest. Then, along came the T1D diagnosis. Per his psychiatrist, the better controlled his T1D is then the easier it will be to manage his ADHD. Absolutely true!

So, I would encourage the re-eval just because puberty and hormones affect a lot with both T1D and ADHD. However, I would note what his BG numbers are when he is having the attention issues. This will be helpful to whomever is doing the re-eval.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My DS has difficulty with school with any BG over 200. He just can't focus well enough to concentrate. If his BG is under 200, he can do the work, he just does with with a teenager attitude. ;) So yeah, that's normal. 12, 13, 14. It's tough.

8. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

More than likely it is his age if this is new at 12, unless you see differences in his numbers. I work in middle school at 12 they lose focus and are just not the same. Most of the time it is just growing and transitioning phase. Stay on him and see if it helps before putting him on drugs unless you thought he was distract before.