- advertisement -

Son can't get the hang of inserting contact lenses...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mischloss, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Have the contact on the tip of the ring finger.I lean foreward and slightly down. Then put the back of your thumb just under the eye (The thumb on the hand with the lens on the ring finger) and move your thumb down, this pulls down the skin opening the lower part of the eye. Then take your other hand and pull up the upper lid, get the skin, not the lashes, the lashes will follow. Use the ring finger to place the contact directly on the pupil. Once it's in there, lift up your head and blink gently. I hope I explained this right, it's easy once you get the hang of it, don't let him quit. PM me if he still needs help.:cwds:

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I had a lot of trouble in the beginning too. It took awhile for me to be able to touch my eye with the contact lense without blinking automatically. Once I could do that it became a lot easier. I also switched brands shortly after and I found these ones a lot easier to put in.

The way I do it is put the contact onto a dry finger, that way it doesn't stick. My mum swears by using a wet finger though, so I don't know :confused:
    Really it just takes practice. I can do them in a few seconds now. Have you considered the ones that you wear for 2 weeks without taking them out? That way he doesn't have to put them in/take them out every day.

Good luck! I HATE glasses and refuse to wear them at all, ever. I wore contacts from the start. The good thing though is that my eyesite isn't that bad and I'm on the lowest strength so I don't even bother wearing contacts at home, only when I go out.

3. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Okay not to spit in the wind or anything. But last night I made him practice. He was reluctant at first but decided he would try with the large bathroom Medicine Cabinet mirror. He said sideways on the toilet and pulled the mirror open and toward him and then proceeded to use the mirror as the guide for where the contact was landing. I left the bathroom so that I wouldn't make him nervous :eek:

About 20 minutes later, he yelled for me and showed me two peepers with contacts in it and a huge smile...okay maybe just a smirk!

Then he took them back out and showed me how he did it. Slowly and gently guiding his finger to his eye and doing it himself. He practiced about 3 times for each eye! I was overcome with joy and was hopping around like a 5 years old and clapping my hands. His incentive was $10!!

thanks so much everyone for you tips. At least he didn't give up and I can no move on with one more "drama" out of my life! ;)

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

Yay!!!!:):):)

5. mischloss

So just a quick update: This morning I tried to make him realize that he needs to get up at least 15 minutes earlier so that there is more time before school starts to place the contacts onto his eye. Sleepy eyes do not do too good with contacts. Well I finally got him up, he washed his face, and got into the bathroom to get them in.....okay it took him 25 minutes to do both eyes. The first one took the longest of course and by that time he was totally awake to focus on the other one. I kept away from the bathroom and didn't rush him. We are close enough to the school that although he missed his school bus, I was able to drive him to school in plenty of time. But told him in the car that this is an exception and I expect him to wake up earlier from now on, get the contacts in his eye and get on the bus! :)

Thanks all for the tremendous help.

Maria

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

good job. I'm sure he'll get faster as time goes on. I mean..it takes a fraction of a second to put them in for me now LOL.

My mom did hard and gas perms for years (she started wearing them when she was only about 12 or 13 too, so we're taking early versions of hard) and she ALWAYS liked her hards so much better even than the gas perms. But, I always remember her "losing" them up in her eye and she'd have to sit there and get them out. Yikes. blech.

7. mischloss

That is the one thing that I hated about the hard ones myself. They would be "gone" off your eye and yet you know you didn't drop them anywhere and when you looked close enough they were stuck on the white part of your eyeball somewhere. Then I would have to gently push and shove them back onto my eye and start all over again to try to pop them out. I do like my soft ones now and mine are bifocals which make them great for reading small print. Just like I have "20 year old" eyes again! : )

8. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I'm one of those people too. A few years ago and again a year after that I had a steel sliver get in one of my eyes. I can't explain the sensation that came over me when the ER Dr was approaching my eye ball with a needle to dig out the sliver and he calmly said "OK, now don't blink" :eek::eek::eek:

I did however have Justin read your posts and see if he could offer any suggestions since he's been wearing contacts since he was 11 or 12 but all he could say after reading them was "It sounds like he's just afraid of something getting near his eye" which I'm sure you've already figured that out but neither him or I have any ideas that would help. Good luck.

9. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I know he seems to be getting the hang of it now, but I thought I'd chime in here too. When I started wearing contacts in 9th grade, I had the hardest time getting mine not to "pop" out right after I put them in and tried to blink. A friend of mine that has eyes like you described your son's, told me her trick and I use it til this day.

I pull the lower part of my right eye down with my left hand, put the contact in with pointer finger of right hand, and then grab my eyelashes, pull my eyelid out just a smidge and place it down over the contact. Also, I put two drops of solution on the contact before I put it in my eye. It keeps it from "sticking" to my eye and feeling itchy.

I hope it gets better!

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I have been wearing contacts for 5 years now, and they were definitely difficult in the beginning.

My vision with contacts is not perfect. I have weighted contacts for my astigmatism(and the lens itself is huge, people can see them in my eyes fairly easily as it is larger then my actual iris), and I have a severe astigmatism (500+ in both eyes). Because of the dry climate, my eyes get dry, I blink...the weight moves, and my world is then blurry. However, I hate myself in glasses so I deal with it(horrors of going through grade school with big round googly unfashionable glasses...why did no one tell me I chose dorky glass styles back then?!?;)).

I also had the issue with it folding back on my finger. I am not entirely sure how I fixed that. I did make sure I did not have extra solution sitting in the middle weighing it down, but I also think it just takes practice 'balancing' the contact on your finger. I dropped a lot of contacts in the sink in the beginning trying to put them in my eye:eek:

It just took a lot of trial and error(and lots of frustrating moments). I can't really offer much help, but say that it will get better for him. good luck!

11. mischloss

That's exactly what the doc's office suggested as well and it seems to be working. And they said after he pulls his upper lid over the contact and eyeball to keep his eyes closed and gently "pat" the top lid so that any air bubbles are expelled from the contact as they stick onto the eye better.

Today it took him about 10 minutes for both eyes, while he was half asleep. I think the challenge moving forward is for him to realize that he needs to get up a little earlier so that he can do his eyes and still make it to the bus. Dad took him to school this morning since I had to rush to work earlier! But at least he is willing to take the time to put them in and wear them. Yesterday he did 12 hours with them in and just took them out about 8pm at night. It was great! And he saw very well for the first time at school. The teacher (science) that has been nagging him about moving to the front row cause he couldn't see a thing on the whiteboard, really complimented him and also did a small talk about how she had Lasik's done on her eye after years of contacts. Now he is asking about when he can have that procedure done! Lordy!

I told him when he is an adult and has money he can go do it himself if he gets tired of contacts. But honestly this brings up the Diabetes and surgery question....is it okay health wise for Diabetics to have their eyes sliced into for Lasiks???