advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Son can't get the hang of inserting contact lenses...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mischloss, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Aaarrrgggg! Talk about frustrating. We went to get him contacts this weekend. He is 13 and a couple of his friends already wear them successfully! He refuses to wear reg. glasses and is now bumping into the whiteboard at school! Anyway, I have been wearing them since I was 16, so of course can give a great deal of advise, tips and tricks. Well, at the doc's office he finally got them in took about 1.5 hours! He got the taking out part fine (they are soft lenses and he does the "pinch" very well). However since coming home from the doc's office he has only been able to get them into one eye once after about 45 minutes...Now the tears and frustration is setting in and he has got it into his head that he just can't do it. I finally inserted them the other day and then he promptly lost one while playing outside. AAAARRRRGGGG! We got a replacement lense the next day from the doc's office. These are trial pairs! Luckily I have not ordered the contact lense boxes as yet, cause I still want to wait to see how things progress before I shell out over $100!

Anyway, I have tried everything! I even found some "how to insert contact" video's done by teenagers on Youtube.... He has "small eyes" almost asian, although we are not but I guess it is some ancient mongolian gene in our past! ;) he is convince his eye is too small to insert this huge lense into! I am about to throw in the towel and let him bump around the school for a couple of more years before trying something like this again. I just don't have the time in the mornings before school to deal with this! He is dog tired in the mornings as it is and so it is double hard for him to get his eye open and concentrate on the task at hand.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I used to wear contacts and for a long time, had huge struggles gettting them in. Definitely the 45 minute thing -and then your eyes are so swolen from being irritated that they aren't going in.

After years and years of struggles, I had someone show me a better (maybe the right) way to put them in. Look up - as hard as you can. Then, press the contact on the white part of your eye "below" the eyeball that is looking up. Not hard - make sure there is enough saline on the contact and let the fluid draw the contact to your eye. Then, look straight again. If the contact is right, it pops right in. I'm not kidding after years and years of struggling for a long time, mine started going right in that way.

3. Denise

Denise Approved members

My DH gave up contacts for this very reason. His eyes would continually roll back into his head. I would just cringe as I watched him put them in. After a few months, he decided it wasn't worth all the hassle and gave them up. Me? I wore them for YEARS until dry eyes got the best of me. I miss them but my eyes itched so much I couldn't keep them in. Can you tell me what happens when he is attempting to put them in? Too much blinking? Eyes closing? Tearing of eyes? I think as females, we do better as we are used to putting our fingers near our eyes for makeup, etc.

4. mischloss

I have tried the white part of the eye too with the looking up. Both with him doing it on his own and also with me doing it for him. His "eyeball" freaks out when ever the finger is getting close to it and won't stand still at the top of the eye. If that makes sense. So when you go to put the lense "under" the iris part, the eyeball "knocks" it out of his eye by jumping back down. He just can't control it. :(

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hmm... the only trick I have is for him to make sure he's not watching his finger get closer to his eye, that he's focusing away from his finger, watching in the mirror but not actually looking out of that eye...does that make sense? Like if he's trying to put his left in, that he's really only using his right eye to view, focusing off in the distance so that his finger isn't even in focus. Have him practice just holding his left finger to his eye lid but not looking at it..lookign off into the distance. I am not explaining this well.

6. Denise

Denise Approved members

this is something i tried when I needed to put them in w/o a mirror... stare at your finger and the contact coming at your eye the whole time..stare it "into" your eye.

7. mischloss

He tries to grab his top lid but he has beautiful long eye lashes. An asset is every way except when putting in contacts. So sometimes the lashes slip out from his fingers that are holding up his top lid. Then as the lenses approaches to the eye, he blinks and the lashes, knock the contact and the contact "collapses" on his finger. Just sticks to it flat! I think for the most part it is the blinking and eyes trying to close as the finger gets close to his eyeball. Also, I told him to get close but not directly touch his eyeball, and so let the eye "find" the lense and it will gently pop on, they kind of "attact" each other. But the few times he has tried he puts his finger with the lense straight onto his eyeball.

8. CButler

CButler Approved members

Does he have trouble with the lens sticking to his finger or is it just getting it to latch on?

9. Denise

Denise Approved members

poor guy... I am sitting here trying to remember how exactly I got mine in..I put my finger on the lashes as u suggested and pulled down the lower lid w/ my middle finger to create more space. I suggest he just try (with clean hands of course) to put his finger near his eye w/o touching his eyeball WITHOUT the contact itself. I think nerves get the best of them..

10. mischloss

Mostly the contact collapses onto his finger and even folds inside out. Like as if an umbrella hits the wind the wrong way and turns inside out. And then it is stuck like glue on his finger tip and he has to turn it right side in and start all over again. When I have watched him do it, it seems like his finger with the contact comes to his eye but then it is either too high (hitting his top lashes) or too low as he gets near his eye. like he doesn't know where his eyeball is once the finger gets too close. Then once the edge of the contact hits either the top or bottom lid it folds onto his finger and is just stuck there.

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I started back in the dark ages with hard contacts and although they are a bugger to get used to they are small and easier to pop in. By the time I moved on to soft lenses (which looked HUGE), I was used to shoving things into my eyes. But it might be challenging to go right to the bigger lenses.

And some people just have a very, very hard time not blinking when things approach their eye -- sounds like your son is one. My husband could NEVER wear contacts. You know that glaucoma test they do when they puff air at your eye? He had to go back three times before they could get a successful test -- he just cannot keep his eye open. And when the kids were little and we all got pink-eye, John was the one I couldn't get the drops into...

Good luck. Maybe coax your son to take some of the pressure off himself -- he doesn't have to get the hang of this right away or start wearing the lenses tomorrow. Maybe he needs a few practice sessions for his eyes to get used to the new sensation and calm down.

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Unfortunately, some folks like me can't wear contacts at all. I know sometimes it's just technique, but some peoples' eyes just have a funny shape. My lenses are flat, for example, so despite two eye doctors and eight brands/styles of contacts, they will not stay in my eyes. If your son's eyes have a different shape to them, maybe the contacts really won't fit?

13. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Zach had a tough time to start with too. He couldn't get his eyes open enough either. Lots of practice stretching his eyelids open and now it's routine. It took him about 2 weeks off working with it for him to be mostly successful and soon it became 2nd nature.

I'll echo the recommendation for what used to be "hard" contacts. Now they are semi-rigid, gas-permeables. They are only as big as your iris. There is some evidence that a more rigid contact slows down the flattening of your eye. It worked for me. My uncorrected eyesight is much better than my brothers.

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

No real advice except let him practice on his own, calmly.
    I gave up wearing lenses exactly because I couldn't put them on correctly.
    So I stick to glasses.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  15. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

ok...I just started wearing contacts in november I think. I was having a tough time at first also. I think it took me about an hour or so to get them in and out at the eye doctor. Now what I do is I look strait on into the mirror, then I keep my eye looking in the same spot, but I turn my head. That way, I can still see what it going on, but there is a big white part of my eye to the side. Then I am still watching, and I put the contact in the white part, and I kind of move it around with my finger, so I make sure that it is really in place. When I finally figured this way out, it made my life a whole lot easier.:)

16. Denise

Denise Approved members

They still make gas perms?! Wow! I used to have those. Easy in but getting them OUT can be a trick..if you don't like the plunger coming at your eye...I was able to "blink" them out luckily.

17. mischloss

I started with the hard plastic ones myself. The putting in was much easier in my opinion than the soft ones. It would never collapse on your finger, but you had to watch out for it popping all over the counter top! ;)

Taking out was the all "pull" on the side of the eyes and blink really fast and it would pop right out for me. I saw a lot clearer too I can tell you than with the soft lenses but I gave up some sharpness for convenience and length of time to wear. I couldn't last more than 6 hours tops with the hard ones in my eye.

Than the gas perms came next and they were great. Got up to 8-9 hours of wear on them.

I just don't know how to approach it with him right now. I think maybe I can do some "incentives" for successful times...like give him a couple of bucks each time he can get it into his eye on his own.

I bought a small makeup mirror for him to use to put on the table and watch himself and he tries to put it into his eye. But that didn't help much either. I guess he will have to find his own comfort zone on how he approaches it. Sigh! The funny thing is that he said that learning to take a shot of D was so much easier than trying to put the contacts in his eyes. I think that was a pretty funny remark!

18. CButler

CButler Approved members

My daughter and I had the problem of the lens sticking to our finger. I always made sure my finger was dry and set the lens on my dry finger using my other hand. My prescription wasn't very strong and the lens was so thin, I guess?

Also, I held open my whole eye with one hand, top and bottom lashes.That sounds weird-but do you know what I mean? Boy did I look scary doing that, come to think of it! Sort of like this smiley::eek:

19. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

are they the kind that you keep in for a bit?
    I can relate, I had the hardest time putting them in that when I finally got them in, I'd leave them in for a week.
    Finally got lasik, I seriously was so bad at contacts!

20. candise

candise Approved members

I got contacts about 5 years ago and I tell everyone- it was one of the hardest tasks I have ever mastered. What worked for me was to force myself to look straight ahead. I had to focus on something in front of me and not waver my gaze. He can practice this without trying to put in contact. I wold hold my eye open with one hand (pulling right under eyebrow and under eye). maybe the optomettist will give you some extra samples(the non perscription0 kind to practice with. If he continues to try he will get it- just maybe have him wear them on the weekends to start. I finally got LASIK last year and do not miss contacts one bit!