- advertisement -

Sometimes we have to let them learn the hard way

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Today Tyler went to the store with his dad and came home with a BAG of Mike & Ikes and wanted to eat the whole entire bag.....I warned him that he would feel like garbage after but he really wanted it - so I said go ahead - Well the whole bag was 144 carbs!!! YIKES!!! I only bolused him for 80 because I was scared to give him insulin for that many carbs. Well as soon he almost finished the bag, he says, "can you test me?, my head feels funny" He was 112 (not bad -- he started at 89) I have been testing him every half hour and he is holding steady at 180 (I am not correcting that at this point)
    BUT - he says that he is never doing that again and is laying on the couch with a blanket (very unusual for him) and just feels like crap!

LESSON LEARNED!:p

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks along these lines. :)

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

lol, I just googled mike and ikes and if what I've found are what Tyler ate, I'm not suprised his head felt funny after eating 144g carbs worth! ouch! I can tell you I'd certainly be in the 300s after that. xP

4. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Oh. My. Gosh.
    I would find my meter waving HI to me if I'd do that....LOL

I can't say I blame him though. Mike and ikes RULE! :p

5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Oh, I really feel for him. I looked up that candy too...I think my head, and stomach would be pounding. Sounds like his BG is pretty good though with all those carbs!!;)

I did something similar on Christmas. My parents put candy in the stocking, and nuts(cause, I like almonds LOL)...I thought, eh, what the heck, I will have some(alright, way more then some...) of the Hershey kisses, cause I never do....and its a Holiday.......boy oh boy did I have a pounding headache later. When you are not used to eating something, and you have it again suddenly, you really regret it later. :eek:

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Oh boy - I think a whole bag of those would make anyone sick - but hey - at least his bg is cooperating. :)

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:eek: That's a whole lota carbs, ain't it?:eek:
    Yep, this one won't be forgotten soon.;)

8. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I've done that, only it was with Butterfingers.

9. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Lilly is at a friends house today. Her friends Mom just called me with Lilly's BG & to let me know what she is eating/drinking for supper. Well, Lilly decided it would be fun to down 3 25 carb juice boxes!! Can't wait to see how she is feeling in an hour when I pick her up!!: :(

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Good for you Mom!, BTW, I bet he does it again!:D Kids don't remember the bad stuff after awhile, when they see candy :D:rolleyes:

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

As hard as I'm sure it was for you to do, I think you did the RIGHT THING! You should also be grateful that your child can feel his highs. My son can only feel his lows and can eat until the cows come home without feeling crappy. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Good job, Mom!!!!!!!! :cwds:

12. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I feel the same way, and its generally a quick lesson. Not too long after Kylee was diagnosed, we were having problems with Kylee sneaking food. After a few times, she made the connection that eating Oreos and not taking insulin made her feel really crappy and it was just easier to do the shot. A second or two of pain was much better than hours of feeling bad.