- advertisement -

Something strange happening with my son....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bustech17, Jul 3, 2015.

1. bustech17

bustech17 New Member

Hello everyone. New to the forum, but not new to type 1. I'm a Dad of a type 1 diabetic. He was diagnosed at 3 years old and is now 13. Started off on a MiniMed at 4 years old and just recently (5 months ago) switched over to the T Slim. He wanted it because of the touch screen (Techno kid) and the fact that it would hold more insulin. The T Slim works great for him, and I like the features and durability of it, because he is a boy and has a rough side to him when it comes to sports and riding his dirt bike, ect.

But anyway, on to my confusion. I know this may sound awkward to some. My son has a taste for Mountain Dew. Yes, I already know, but hear me out. Every time he gets one, it's usually a 24 oz can. It's either the regular, the Baja Blast, or whatever else they have. Every time he has one, he goes low. We've tested this over the course of a couple weeks with the same results. This morning we went out to get some parts for a project we are working on. I decided to stop and get a cup of coffee at a local Stewart's shop and he wanted a Mountain Dew.... The regular version. Now, the can says it's 97 carbs for the whole thing (yikes!!) He tested beforehand and was 187. He put in the BG and 30 carbs for the MD (He's a slow drinker) because he assumed he would only have a little bit of it. Well, he finished the whole 24 ounces without putting any more carbs in, and within and hour he felt low. He tested at 52. I can't figure this out.....

Am I missing something here? Anyone else have something that has high carbs but makes your kid go low?

Thanks, Des

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hi there
    My daughter can not bolus the full amount of carbs for a regular soda either. My assumption ( take it for what it's worth) is that because it is pure sugar, and nothing else, no fat, no protein, the insulin works very quickly on it and is almost too efficient since there is no fat or protein to slow it down like other foods such as pizza, which the carbs have a long drawn out effect on the blood sugar. If my daughter has non diet soda or candy such as skittles, we only bolus half the carbs.

3. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

High fructose corn syrup is 55% fructose and fructose has a very low GI because most of it goes straight to the liver through the hepatic portal vein without entering the blood, then gets turned into liver glycogen and triglycerides. So a 97 carb gram soda has about 54 grams of fructose and 43 grams of glucose that goes into the bloodstream fast. Also because fructose stimulates glycogenolysis in the liver, it can supress glucagon secretion for a while after you eat it. That means that you may have less than normal basal glucose coming out of the liver. Some of the fructose gets absorbed by the cells of the gut, and turned into glucose and released over time. Basically fructose does not require insulin to be taken into the liver, and may shut down glucagon, and well the most important thing is that non-milk sugar is half fructose, and HFCS is about 55%

I know that adding 5 grams of fructose to a glucose tolerance test can greatly supress the peak, and not by stimulating more insulin. That's in non diabetics though. It is clear that sugar, hfcs, starch and milk sugar all act differently to raise blood sugar, but carb counting is assuming a balance of different carb sources.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Does he wear a CGM? I think you'd see an interesting pattern? I would expect you'd see a huge spike quickly (the MD raising BG fast) and then a huge drop (insulin working but having nothing to work on because sugar from MD is already in and out of the system). We've never been able to time dosing for sugary drinks so we just don't drink them.

5. bustech17

bustech17 New Member

We do have the CGM, but he doesn't like to wear it. It's just more hardware for him put on his body that tends to get knocked off because of his aggressive style of activity. But that is a good point, and some very interesting comments you all have given. Thank you and hope to be discussing more with everyone soon. Have a great Day!

Des
    Father of Lucas - 13 (dx 3/05, dx Graves 9/13)
    Jacob - 7 (so far so good)

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My guess is it's the caffeine. It doesn't make sense that the sugar content would cause a low, having no other fat or protein with it. My guess is the caffeine is making his body use insulin differently, kind of like exercise does. Mountain Dew has a lot of caffeine.

I might beg, plead, or bribe :eek: him to wear cgm while drinking a MD as an experiment....if you want to have a better idea what's going on.

7. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

People around here are aware that fructose (half of "sugar" and 55% of HFCS) enters the liver without insulin? I just want to make sure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructolysis
    Also fructose simply is not allowed to enter general circulation and raise blood sugar because is is such a damaging glycator. Only about 1% enters general circulation but it causes 10x the glycation per mg/dl
    It also raises triglycerides and leads to fatty liver disease, but that is another issue.

Fructose has a GI of about 15 which means that most of it only leaks out of the liver after 3+ hours. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/7/1611.full

There is a reason it was used for glycemic control. It doesn't raise blood sugar much and doesn't take insulin to get into target cells, but unfortunately there's the increase glycation, triglycerides and fatty liver disease. As long as the liver needs to fill glycogen, it just gets turned into glycogen though (like after running a lot, or after a period of fasting).

Sucrose is half fructose, so if you have 50 grams of sugar, you get 25 grams of glucose (GI about 100) and 25 grams of fructose (GI less than 20).

8. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Very interesting links. Thank you. I was aware that fructose was utilized without insulin - but I think there is more information about the whole process available now (as opposed to ten years ago). Thanks again.