advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something Seems a Little Off

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Mgirod, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

On one of the other forums I am on, Both my parents and I are finding that people are always talking about being low all of the time or high all of the time. With the exception of the first few days post diagnosis I have been relatively in range with only a few highs and lows. Is there something wrong? I feel like we are the only ones who aren't having "beginners trouble". Help??

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Everyone varies, they really and truly do. Some people have very stable honeymoons and some have roller coaster days and some don't have a honeymoon. It sounds like you have been given a great basal dose and some good correction and bolus numbers so far and that you are in a great spot right now. Enjoy it and hope that it stays that way for a very long time :)

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter (diagnosed a year ago March) was similar. And I honestly don't think her honeymoon is over yet, it's just that she's 11 and puberty has set in with a vengence - she's growing and changing before my eyes, so her insulin needs are growing (and growing!) and changing, too. But, once we find the sweet spot again, all is good for awhile, based upon what I read, I think she's more stable than many other children who are the same age, but diagnosed earlier in life.

My initial introduction post asked if I was too relaxed about things. Everything just seemed to follow along with what the doctor said would happen. But yet, I know someone who had a horrible honeymoon where her pancreas would randomly produce a ton of insulin and produce crazy severe lows out of nowhere. Everybody's different, I guess.

4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

My son, just diagnosed 7 months ago, is in the same boat as you. The numbers have been good but we have seen a lot of lows once the weather finally cleared up around here, allowing him to get outside and do what boys do. I thank God for every day of relatively good numbers (for a diabetic). Even 10% of a pancreas is better than no pancreas at all. So roll with it :)

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Go with it for as long as it will take you. K is still in some sort of honeymoon after 4 years.. the PA says not possible and wanted to take her off insulin for a short time so that it ended. WE said no, the endo said.. why would you mess with it and risk complications. For now just be thankful that numbers stay somewhat stable.. a1c's in the 6's.

6. Vannie

Vannie New Member

You're considerably lucky. I've had it since I was one, and I still have bad problems. Yearly seizures, and the occasional HI. I'm in great control myself, 7.2 A1C, average number is 120, but even a teenage diabetes veteran like myself has problems.