- advertisement -

Solved it on his own, good...right??

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by HBMom, Feb 9, 2011.

1. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My DS is the manager of the boys high school basketball team. They had a game last night, and he has the task of handling the scoring duties, which can be daunting. He rode to the game with one parent, but somehow, his backpack was in another car. Got to the game and felt low, confirmed by his Dex. Realized his food, etc was in the parent's car, but the game was starting, and to get the backpack would mean he would have to delay the game. He decided to do a temp basal of -30% so he would stay in range and.......it worked fine!!

Now - would I have liked him to ask the parent to get the backpack?.....YES, but did he solve the problem and did it come out ok?.....YES, so I know I need to tell him he did a good job, but it is really hard to do! I want to praise him for solving the problem (which I did do - and I am proud of him for figuring out how to do it), but also would probably want him to do it a bit differently in the future KWIM??

I guess I have learned that as he gets older and takes over his D duties, he will figure out the best ways to handle the situations that arise. When he forgets to bolus or test, I wonder where his brain is, then this happens, and it shows me that he CAN figure things out. It is HIS D and he is the one who has to live with it. Lesson Learned :)

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

This is EXACTLY what we need our d kids to do. Even though they often don't handle situations the way we would or would prefer them to, we have to trust that they come up with SOME solution when a problem arises.

Good job

3. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

Good for him for coming up with a solution. Even though it was not what your first choice solution would have been, he solved the problem and maybe you both learned that sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat. I have to remind myself of that sometimes, too. IMO, praise for his thinking it through in a quick, discrete (which was probably very important to him) way would be my first priority. Then chat about what other options there were so he can have more ideas in case there is a next time.

I had a similar situation with my son (17) yesterday at baseball practice. He thought he had juice boxes in his backpack from the day before but apparently they grew legs and walked away... I thought he had put glucose tabs in his backpack, but they were only in his school backpack, not his baseball backpack. So, he ate a carb and sent another kid to the Quick Mart around the corner for a Gatorade. Drank abut 4 oz., waited (and stayed sitting down - a real miracle!), retested and was within range. To be safe, he ate another carb snack. Once all was well, the kid who ran to the store and a couple of his other close friends talked to him about what immediate sugar sources my son needs in that situation and they are each keeping a different one in their backpacks. Great friends!

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Sounds like he did a good job.:cwds:

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son did a similar thing while in the remote mountains of Philmont scout reservation in New Mexico. The glucsoe tabs were up in the Bear bag and he was lower than he wanted to be. He set a temp basal for a few hours and his sugar was in range in the morning.

6. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Wow, your children are doing great... Good job to all of you parents who have taught your kids so well.