advertisement

Software for co-parenting T1D preschooler after divorce

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Red, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Red

Red Approved members

Hello! I am wondering if anyone here has used a software or any other electronic or other medium when co-parenting a type 1 child after a divorce or separation. My child's father lives over 3.5 hours away and I am wondering if anyone here had that experience and any advice they can give on co-parenting. The communication is strained to say the least. We are currently in litigation/negotiations phase of the divorce and child custody and I really want to find the best communication tools and have that addressed and agreed upon in the process.

My son is 3.5 preschooler, Type 1, and on disposable injections, not a pump.

What did or do you do to track and communicate post-divorce and in co-parenting ? I saw the family wizard software, but it does not seem to address diabetic tracking. Or was a logbook preferable?

anything you advise is so very much appreciated!

-Red

2. crg2010

crg2010 Approved members

Sorry I can't help with any advice on co-parenting, but if you and your ex both have Apple devices (iPad/iPhone) I recommend the Glucose Buddy app. It lets you sync multiple devices so you both can enter and view details like food, activity, insulin administered (both type and units) and BGs. We were using it to track BGs and insulin before my son went on the pump and liked it. It is available as an app for Android, but you can't sync multiple devices unless you are using the Apple app - at least as of last year when we used it. Good luck!

3. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

blueloop is available online and you create an account t and could communicate BG,carbs and insulin doses

4. Red

Red Approved members

we don't have iphones,so I will be looking for the blueloop.Is it available as a free download? Any other software or online or even hardcopy option for sharing infor for divorcing/divorced parents of a young type 1 in different, distant households and no communication between parents?

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This is rather low tech, but what about just having a log that captures all the relevant information (blood glucose number, carbs eaten, insulin given, etc), and just send it back and forth with the child. Each parent would need to be dilligent about filling it out, but you are probably doing it anway.

Here is one that I have used:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2780&d=1374087666

Just a thought. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Co-parenting is hard, co-parenting with T1 is even harder. What type of info do you want to track? You can always use a Google spreadsheet that you both have access to. That is free and easy to use.

We used the same meter and sent it back and forth, that way we would know the BS behaviors. Other then that, I found that things like food diaries and such just caused more aggravation between the two households. My ex and I are divorced for a reason, and communication is the reason. Things did not improve when we lived in separate households. He and his wife were very judging of everything on the log and would question every carb fed. This was a years long battle at the endo every three months, until our Endo basically sat us down and said - what happens at mom's house stays at moms, and what happens at dad's house stays at dads.

I think this is the most important thing to keep in mind. As long as the child is safe, then the only thing you need to pay attention to is the BS #, and that should be looked at only for treatment patterns.

7. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

my husband and I are not divorced but I have found that by creating a document in our computer that he can access when I am gone has been beneficial for us.
    I would say if your ex is open to using Skydrive where you can create and share documents in the virtual world it work out good that way you can create a document to keep a bg log and another document or two on treatment plans and what your child's ratio's and info are and update as necessary.

8. MissionsMom

MissionsMom Approved members

I'm not divorced, but my husband travels a lot. We use Blue Loop. You can set it to text your entries to multiple cell phones, so everyone can see what's going on. Your doctor may be connected, too. If so, it is easier to communicate with them about changing doses, etc, in the early stages. When you start entering information, you can enter hospital/doctor info, and see if they're already using it. There is a free app called BlueLoop, but I would go online first, to www.mycareconnect.com. Set it up that way, so that you can clearly understand what's being logged, and where it's going. Then, when you use the app, you'll understand it better. There are charts and graphs and reports to look at later, to see trends too.

When your child is older, you can even connect the school nurse. Our school nurse enters bg at different test times, and the results are texted to me. She only needs to call if there is a high or low to deal with. Plus, the BlueLoop people are very helpful if you need them. I've talked to them on the phone and emailed a few times, just figuring things out.

Hmm... Maybe BlueLoop should be paying me for this marketing, huh? ;-)